Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Works collaboratively with Human Resources departments including but not limited to Total Compensation and HRIS as well as with Information Technology to develop and implement HR and Payroll initiatives across the Health System.
2. Ensures that the Finance Shared Services Payroll function is fully utilizing existing and cutting edge technology to most efficiently and effectively deliver quality service to the Health system while maintaining all service level agreements and Scope of Services as defined.
3. Directs the Manager of Payroll for the daily execution of responsibilities. Responsible for the establishment of goals, objectives, and standards of performance; development and implementation of operating policies and procedures; interpretation and insurance of compliance with relevant policies and procedures, standards, regulations and codes to personnel.
4. Directs the operations of the Payroll Functions including departmental priority setting and staffing requirements; departmental budget preparation and resource management; ensures compliance with corporate policies and procedures to provide an accurate and effective service to the organization.
5. Develops and communicates corporate financial policies and procedures to ensure adequate control over corporate assets, the accuracy of financial results and promotes an efficient and effective service delivery.
6. Advises the Vice President Financial Reporting and Systems concerning the Financial Operations of the UMMS corporation, and assists the Vice President in the resolution of financial matters. Assist in planning, developing and implementing operational strategies and systems necessary to meet the changing needs of the organization.
7. Ensures compliance with regulatory requirements to include governmental reporting requirements and federal, state and local tax regulations including Internal Revenue Service and Department of Labor requirements for payroll. Maintains an up to date knowledge of all regulatory requirements to ensure compliance with changes in such regulations.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Accounting, Finance or a related field is required. Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) or other similar payroll professional certification is required. Master’s degree in business administration or a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is preferred.
Seven years progressively responsible experience in financial management, disbursement management, general accounting, public accounting or equivalent, is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Proficient knowledge of state and federal tax laws and regulations, as they relate to Payroll is required. Proficient knowledge of general accounting principles in preparing and analyzing financial data and in implementing changes to contain costs for budgetary purposes are required.
2. Knowledge of payroll information systems, business application systems and personal computer skills is required. Experience in Lawson is preferred.
3. Highly proficient mathematical and analytical skills are required.
4. Proficient skills in directing, monitoring, evaluating and motivating the performance of professional and management/supervisory staff are required.
5. High level of proficiency and demonstrated effectiveness in problem-solving, and implementing new programs related to increased departmental and organizational operating efficiency is required.
6. Highly effective oral and written communication skills are required to work with outside vendors/contractors, other corporate departments and various senior management and administrative staff throughout the health system.