University of Maryland Medical Center - Midtown Campus has had a long history of working to keep our community healthy. Located in Baltimore’s cultural center near the historic Mount Vernon neighborhood, UMMC Midtown Campus is a 200-bed non-profit, community teaching hospital, and part of the University of Maryland Medical System. UMMC Midtown Campus was named a 2014-2015 Best Regional Hospital in Baltimore by U.S. News & World Report.
UMMC Midtown is seeking a Medical Assistant -Infectious Disease- FT Day.
Main Function: Under direct supervision of the on-site physician, assists in the delivery of patient care. Performs delegated medical tasks, assists physician and nursing staff with patient care and may perform clerical duties. Where electronic system is in use, this position will utilize the EMR for documentation purposes. Fulfillment of job duties requires the employee to have access to medication storage areas and to transport medications to/ from medication storage and delivery areas.
Duties and Responsibilities: The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. These are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Gathers and documents brief history and chief complaint in the medical record/EMR.
2. Follows established guidelines to obtain necessary testing based on the chief complaint prior to the exam. Prepares patient for examination by the health care provider.
3. Performs routine clinic testing, including but not limited to; urinalysis, vision testing, hearing screening, pulmonary function testing, temperature, pulse and blood pressure.
4. Assists provider with procedures and minor surgical procedures.
5. Obtains necessary blood and urine specimens.
6. Provides pre-printed patient education /material as directed by physician.
7. Exhibits compassion and empathy for all patients and families at all times.
8. Performs cleaning and disinfection of environment of care. Performs high level disinfection of equipment instruments per unit/hospital procedure.
9. Maintains necessary supplies in clinical area.
10. Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the patient populations(s) served. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possesses the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's requirements relative to his or her population-specific and age specific needs. Provides the care needed as described in the unit/area/department policies and procedures.
11. Administers select medications and injections under direct supervision of physician as per clinic and hospital policy. Assist in the UMMS immunization program, including giving injections and tracking data in a computer program.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent required.
Completion of an accredited Medical Assistant program required.
Demonstrated skill in venipuncture.
CPR certification through American Heart Association required.