Demonstrates competency in performing clerical duties and clinical support consistent with the mission and values of the University of Maryland Rehabilitation and Orthopaedic Institute (UMROI) and in accordance with regulatory requirements. Serves as a fully engaged member of the interdisciplinary patient care services team. Participates in cost effective strategies that optimize patient outcomes.
Must demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age, culture, ethnicity, and specific individual diagnostic needs of the patients served in his/her department. He/she must be able to assess and interpret data about the patient’s status in order to identify each patient’s specific needs and provide the care needed by the patient group (pediatric, adolescents and/or geriatric patient group, culture and diagnostic specific).
Consistently expresses and demonstrates compassion and courtesy for patients. Extends courtesy and support to patient's families/visitors.
1. Completion of a high school level course of work with attainment of high school diploma or a State High School Equivalency (GED).
2. Six months of direct patient care experience in a health care facility preferred.
3. Ability to organize work priorities, perform several duties simultaneously and function in stressful situations.
4. Ability to learn and apply computer systems.
5. Highly effective verbal communication skills including courtesy, resourcefulness and efficiency in answering questions, giving directions, locating staff and explaining hospital/departmental policies and procedures are necessary.
6. Verbal communication skills may include communicating with an interdisciplinary team, patients, and families.
7. Effective writing skills are also required in order to take messages and maintain miscellaneous records, receipts, reports and logs.