Performs routine and STAT blood collection for patient care sites within the hospital and at off site locations. Performs clerical, data entry and specimen processing & distribution within the laboratory. Collects laboratory specimens from nursing units. Distributes laboratory test results to clients. Functions as a receptionist for the laboratory. Train new employees as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Obtains venous and/or capillary blood specimens according to established procedures.
2. Receives and processes specimens for testing in various laboratory departments, according to established procedures. Operates centrifuge. Separates specimens according to department, storage or referral laboratory.
3. Enters patient demographic data into laboratory computer system. Accesses appropriate account or opens new account. Recognizes when there is a need for a new medical record and does not assign duplicates. Orders tests as indicated by physician on the requisition.
4. Pulls up pending phlebotomy orders, prints out orders from the computer. Monitors the computer for outstanding orders. Responds to requests for STAT phlebotomy.
5. Checks insurance for eligibility. Recognizes nonparticipating insurances and refers patient or specimen to appropriate laboratory for testing.
6. Responds to telephone inquiries for test results, specimen status, or other general inquiries.
7. Performs scheduled courier rounds throughout hospital, picking up specimens on nursing units and delivering them to the laboratory.
8. Sorts completed reports (outpatient) & prepares for mail, fax, or delivery as indicated. Receives, sorts & delivers mail to various laboratory departments.
9. Demonstrates courtesy and respect for all individuals, patients, visitors, physicians & co-workers.
10. Accepts responsibility for other duties or projects as needed or assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent preferred;
Completion of a certified phlebotomy course or proof of on-the-job training