Job Facility: University of Maryland Medical System
Employment Type: Full Time
What You Will Do:
The University of Maryland Medical System is a 14-hospital system with academic, community and specialty medical services reaching every part of Maryland and beyond. UMMS is a national and regional referral center for trauma, cancer care, Neurocare, cardiac care, women's and children's health and physical rehabilitation. UMMS is the fourth largest private employer in the Baltimore metropolitan area and one of the top 20 employers in the state of Maryland. No organization will give you the clinical variety, the support, or the opportunities for professional growth that you’ll enjoy as a member of our team. UMMS is currently seeking anEntry Level Buyerfor our Corporate location.
High school diploma (GED), experience/knowledge of bid/pricing solicitation practices, experience reviewing contracts and 1 year of work experience in a Purchasing function working with purchase orders, accounts payable, receiving departments, vendors and customers is REQUIRED.
Under the supervision of the Director Corporate Procurement & Customer Service, perform procurement and contracting support activities. The Buyers are required to adhere to corporate policies, provide strong customer support, review departmental requests to purchase, ensure pricing is reasonable and competitive and issue purchase orders in a timely fashion.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Provide exemplary customer service support to the Medical System for purchasing and supply chain needs by being customer focused and responsive to the needs of the organization.
2. Reviews requests to purchase (purchase requisitions) for appropriateness and action on a daily basis and issues purchase orders in accordance with the “Due Date” on the requisition.
3. Communicates effectively with their internal customers and vendors to minimize supply chain disruptions.
4. Contacts vendors/suppliers to research product information and verify pricing, product and/or service availability, unit of measures quantity and delivery dates.
5. Resolves discrepant invoice issues in a timely manner consistent with organizational policy by working in conjunction with Accounts Payable, Receiving, Requesting Department and the vendor.
6. Updates the Item Table in Pathways Materials Management (PMM) on an as necessary basis when vendor information, pricing, or products changes occur.
7. Updates the Vendor Table in Pathways Materials Management (PMM) on an as necessary basis as required.
8. Reviews and closes out open purchase orders or lines on a purchase order on a monthly basis if the order or line will not be delivered.
9. Assists departments with identifying alternative products/goods when necessary.
10. Provide internal customers with PMM system support as required.
11. On a regular basis manages the use of creating “Draft” purchase orders and ensures that such orders are cleared within five business days.
12. Conducts negotiations with vendors for competitive pricing, delivery dates, shipping terms, etc.
13. Prepares cost/benefit-pricing analysis.
14. Works with various procurement organizations such as MDB Information Network, Novation, etc. to ensure best pricing.
15. Assists departments when products/goods need to be returned to vendors.
16. Assists and support their assigned commodity teams as necessary.
As a University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS) employee, you will enjoy a comprehensive benefits program designed with you and your dependents in mind. Subject to any eligibility waiting period, all of the benefits are available to regular full-time employees and most benefits are available to regular part-time employees who are regularly scheduled to work twenty (20) or more hours per week. Many benefits are provided at no cost to employees. For others, the cost is shared between UMMS and employees.
What You Need to Be Successful:
1. High school diploma equivalent (GED) is required. Associate's degree in General Business is preferred.
2. One year of work experience in a Purchasing function working with purchase orders, accounts payable, receiving departments, vendors and customers, required. Experience using PC spreadsheet software packages such as Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word and a computerized purchasing system is preferred.
3. Experience/knowledge of bid/pricing solicitation practices is required. Experience reviewing contracts is required. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Ability to gather information for Medical System personnel on products, vendors, etc. and respond to the requestor timely, accurately and efficiently. Ability to collect pertinent information, interview suppliers, relay information, answer questions and resolve issues, problems and/or discrepancies related to purchase orders or the supply chain in a timely, professional, courteous and efficient manner.
2. Demonstrated ability to perform cost benefit comparisons and analysis to determine the true cost of goods and /services.
3. Ability to work in and manage in a multi-task environment.
4. Highly effective written and verbal communication skills.