Under limited supervision, the Front Office Coordinator provides all front office functions including customer service, telephone management, scheduling, registration, copay collections, account management, coding review, charge entry, and appropriate cash and end-of day closure procedures. Ensures that all provider schedules are appropriately populated, telephones are managed, and complete registration information is captured prior to or during each patient visit. May act as a lead to lower level staff as necessary.
THIS POSITION WILL LOCATED IN PASADENA, MD
High School diploma or equivalent (GED) and (1) one year of customer service experience is REQUIRED.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. These are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Receives and screens visitors and telephone calls. Provides extensive information in person and on the telephone.
2. Calls patients to verify appointments.
3. Verifies patient demographic information including insurance verification prior to the patient visit for all pre-scheduled patients. Performs data entry of patient demographic information. Types letters and faxes information as needed.
4. Registers all patients at each visit utilizing established policies for the capture of complete and up-to-date patient and insurance information Receives and documents patient responsible payments including co-payments, past balance payments, and other patient-responsible charges.
5. Schedules patients for physician visit. Maintains and updates appointment calendars.
6. Processes all referral requests by physicians and patients within a timely manner and according to clinic procedure.
7. Notifies clinical personnel of patient arrival.
8. Maintains entry log of incoming visitors.
9. Processes and delivers departmental mail.
10. Prepares examination room for patients. Cleans examination rooms between patients and at the end of the day.
11. Tracks down labs on patients and follows up with lab companies when errors occur.
12. Coordinates files and office information – updates charts, labs, x-rays, dictated notes, etc.
13. Pulls and prepares charts for current and follow-up appointments.
14. Processes and maintains medical records in accordance with records protocols.
15. Discharges each patient via established policies, including charge entry for current visit if appropriate, scheduling of future appointments, facilitation of ancillary procedures as necessary, and provides for the patient a receipt for services rendered.
16. Manages and guides billing, collections, and data processing to ensure accurate patient billing and efficient account collection.
17. Collaborates with providers regarding appropriate coding procedures.
18. Utilizes coding knowledge for surgical and other charge entry functions.
19. Reconciles cash and charge batches, balances cash drawer, prepares deposits, and reconciles charges to visits and the co-pay holding file with an accurate balance for each opened batch.
20. Orders and maintains supplies according to par levels for the practice.
21. May act as a lead to lower level staff by training and supporting as necessary.
22. May provide practice start-up support as needed for the practice.
23. Performs other duties as assigned.
As a University of Maryland Community Medical Group (UM CMG) employee, you will enjoy a comprehensive benefits program designed with you and your dependents in mind. Subject to any eligibility waiting period, all of the benefits are available to regular full-time employees and most benefits are available to regular part-time employees who are regularly scheduled to work twenty (20) or more hours per week. Many benefits are provided at no cost to employees. For others, the cost is shared between UM CMG and employees.
High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) and one (1) year of customer service experience is required.
One (1) year relevant front-desk experience preferred. Experience within a healthcare environment preferred.
Certification in scheduling and registration preferred.