Under general direction, the Practice Manager I is responsible for the operational management of a single large practice or several small to medium practice sites. The Practice Manager assumes responsibility for ensuring the cost effective delivery of quality patient care while striving for continued improvement in operating and financial performance. The incumbent will remain abreast of financial and operational growth goals for the department/practice and strategize for continued improvement in operating and financial performance. In conjunction with UMCMG leadership, the Practice Manager I plays a key role in the implementation and enforcement of the practice’s strategic plan(s).
The following requirements are necessary for the Practice Manager I position:
1. High School diploma; Bachelor’s Degree in a clinical or administrative field preferred.
2. Five years of supervisory experience in a healthcare setting is accepted in lieu of a Bachelor’s degree.
3. Two years’ experience in one or all of the following: physician practice billing, coding, quality assurance and experience in relevant area for assigned department/care center/practice.
4. One year supervisory or two years lead experience also required.
THIS POSITION WILL BE LOCATED IN MILLERSVILLE, MD
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
Drives the facility’s operational goals
1. Facilitates communication among physicians, staff and administration establishing a climate that encourages teamwork and promotes collegial collaboration among all team members
2. Establishes implements, communicates and enforces policies and procedures that address daily operations of the practice including communication of any program or policy changes.
3. Oversees the maintenance of the facility, assuring a safe, clean and pleasant environment for patients and staff. Negotiates and manages leases and space issues.
4. Works closely with medical staff to make practices more efficient and effective through application of practice management analysis.
1. Interviews, and selects high quality candidates, and trains new staff members
2. Appropriately on-boards staff, following EEOC guidelines, background and reference checks, etc.
3. Mediates or assists in the mediation of conflicts, differences and misunderstandings between and amongst patients, staff and physicians. Identifies potential problem areas and proactively addresses issues.
4. Manages time reporting and scheduling, include reviews and approval of department staff time cards, using the appropriate timekeeping system, and approves all employee PTO requests.
5. Facilitates the functioning of a multi-disciplinary team; promotes staff input into decisions affecting the practice.
6. Ensures practice has properly trained staff in sufficient numbers to provide effective and efficient staff coverage at all times, including back up plans for sick leave and vacation.
7. Evaluates and improves staffing and expectations to eliminate and/or reduce backlogs.
1. Manages employee performance for direct reports including:
2. Provides ongoing feedback and coaching. Completes formal performance reviews. Maintains employee records in system.
3. Identifies and addresses performance and behavioral problems of staff; counsels and disciplines according to policy on corrective action.
4. Recognizes and rewards performance.
5. Evaluates and identifies staff development needs and plans and implements training based on those needs.
6. Ensures staff is prioritizing work appropriately.
7. Interviews and selects high quality candidates and trains new staff members
1. Provides input for the development of budget and financial goals. Gathers data and writes justifications for personnel, capital expenditures for equipment and supplies.
2. Controls utilization of fiscal resources. Evaluates, identifies and makes recommendations for improving cost-effective delivery of care.
3. Identifies equipment requirements for departments; researches and makes recommendations on purchases.
4. Interfaces with Revenue Cycle Team for billing and collections agency and oversees charging, coding and fee tickets/department/practice and plan for continued improvement in operating and financial performance.
5. Ensures complete and accurate claims.
6. Works collaboratively with the medical leadership to ensure budget and financial goals are met.
7. Creates action plans to ensure budget variances are appropriately identified and corrected.
1. Oversees and optimizes the utilization of practice management systems, applications and electronic records
2. Audits, reviews and updates policies and procedures
3. Oversees the maintenance of required department records.
4. Assists in the collection of statistical data
5. Assures proper functioning of necessary equipment, including preventive maintenance and quality control.
6. Maintains CLIA certification and business licenses.
7. Performs other duties as assigned.
As a University of Maryland Community Medical Group (UM CMG) employee, you will enjoy a comprehensive benefits program designed with you and your dependents in mind. Subject to any eligibility waiting period, all of the benefits are available to regular full-time employees and most benefits are available to regular part-time employees who are regularly scheduled to work twenty (20) or more hours per week. Many benefits are provided at no cost to employees. For others, the cost is shared between UM CMG and employees.
Bachelor’s Degree in a clinical or administrative field preferred.
Five (5) years of supervisory experience in a healthcare setting is accepted in lieu of a Bachelor’s degree.
Two (2) years’ experience in one or all of the following: physician practice billing, coding, quality assurance and experience in relevant area for assigned department/care center/practice.
One (1) year supervisory or two years lead experience also required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Strong operations and leadership skills required.
• Ability to analyze satisfaction, financial and operational data and develop plans for improvement.
• Knowledge of laws and medical terminology relating to the management and operations of physician practices.
• Ability to demonstrate diplomacy in communication and conflict resolution techniques.
• CPT, ICD-9/ICD-10 and HCPCS coding (for care center managers)
• Ability to partner and collaborate with physician leadership and work effectively with providers and physician site leadership.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to implement department policies and procedures and ensure adherence.
• Computer literacy skills required in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Excellent customer service skills.