Physician Relations Manager - Baltimore, MD
This individual is responsible for establishing and maintaining ongoing lines of communication between community physicians and the University of Maryland Medical System (and all entities). The manager builds and retains relationships with providers, educating them about targeted programs and services. In addition to performing Physician Liaison outreach functions, the individual is responsible, with supervision from the Director of System Physician Marketing & Referral Services, for acting in a lead capacity and participating in the management of outreach for their assigned service line/territory.
Duties and responsibilities in this role may vary based on location.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. UMMC: As a complementary partner to the Service Line Marketing Manager, work closely with Service Line team and Physician Marketing team (statewide) to develop and communicate physician marketing /outreach strategy and meet annual goals, e.g. number of sales contacts, and referral volumes.
2. Stay current and educated on all information regarding service line/territory by meeting with hospital service line management, executive staff and physician leaders to learn about existing and new clinical service offerings, to be the “expert” when communicating with referring community physicians with the goal of increasing patient referrals to UMMS hospitals and physicians.
3. Assist hospital with provider retention, education and promotion of targeted programs and services in primary and secondary service areas.
4. Identify and report market intelligence including competitive positioning, practice growth/vulnerability to senior leadership.
5. Complete provider onboarding activities such as coordinating/hosting events and making community introductions.
6. Identify ways for hospitals to improve inpatient, outpatient and referral processes by reporting and tracking physician customer service issues.
7. Support employed practices, including conducting customer service assessments as well as other surveys in support of improved processes and referral volumes.
8. Assist in development of monthly schedules of outreach activities based on strategic and programmatic priorities of the marketing and communications department.
9. Participate in training and/or supervising new Physician Relations Associates through extensive on-the-job training for a concentrated time period of 3-4 months.
10. Utilize and update a comprehensive PRM and market analysis system, which drives outreach strategy to physicians and physician groups in Maryland, and portions of surrounding states, as well as provides critical information on service line physician alignment. Maintain responsibility to make new changes and/or additions to the database. Become a super user and train others as needed. Develop outreach strategies and direction for development of physician relationships utilizing the current platform (Crimson Market Advantage). Assist hospitals and physicians as appropriate in understanding the market and targeting physician practices for business development and education for all UMMS hospitals.
11. Develop extensive pre-call planning data e.g. to assess our physician’s accessibility to patients, and referring physicians’ loyalty/splitting behavior, market conditions, etc.
12. Analyze all trend reports generated in the department in conjunction with the VP of Marketing, hospital leadership and Directors of Business Development and Physician Marketing to determine focused efforts required by the Physician Liaison team to improve patient referrals from physician(s) or physician group(s).
13. Coordinate targeted onsite visits to potential referring physicians in various communities and regions in Maryland and portions of surrounding states to build relationships and increase referrals to UMMS. Compile information to disseminate to community physicians (i.e. CME programs, updates on new faculty/services, newsletters, outreach programs, etc.) through the Physician Liaison team.
14. Identify physicians/physician groups that are or should be important to service lines or hospitals as possible candidates for networking activities which will help generate increased patient referrals to UMMS.
15. Maintain oversight of comments and feedback accumulated through physician visits to identify needs, problems and requested information from a larger organizational perspective utilizing departmental trend reports and analysis. Communicate and prepare this feedback and analyses to the appropriate physician, department personnel and leadership..
16. Provide ongoing support for relationships established with area physicians and act as the point person for concerns, communication and information.
17. Organize and/or participate in Staff Outreach Program functions in the evening and occasionally weekends as necessary either targeting a specific region within the state of Maryland or by specific specialty (i.e. cardiovascular).
18. Serve as point person with referring physicians for system-wide initiatives affecting assigned service line or hospital. Examples could include assisting with roll-out of technology tools for referring physicians, new product offerings from UMMS, etc.
19. Identify potential opportunities for service line or hospital to establish clinics or expand services, based on feedback from community physicians.
Education and Experience
Bachelors’ degree required. Master’s degree in a related field strongly preferred.
Five (5) years in the healthcare and/or service industry which includes some clinical, marketing, sales or pharmaceutical sales experience is required.
Management experience strongly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Strong organizational skills with demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision.
Strong interpersonal, problem solving and communication skills.
Self-motivated, adaptable and flexible.
Project a positive image of the organization.
Adapt hours and availability to meet the needs of our physician customers
Previous clinical experience is desirable, along with knowledge of medical terminology and practices.
UMMC: Ability and willingness to travel extensively throughout the state on average 80% of the time required. All other: local travel in hospital catchment area. Possession of reliable transportation is required.
Proficient knowledge of computer equipment and various software packages (i.e., Microsoft Office to include Word, PowerPoint, and Excel) is required. CRM/PRM database software experience is preferred.