The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. These are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Assists physician during physical exams and procedures.
2. Ensures that charts for outside physicians are prepared for that day with appropriate forms and documentation.
3. Assists staff with scheduling appointments, requesting medical information, test results, photocopying, filing and other tasks as assigned.
4. Assists with obtaining authorizations or referrals needed.
5. Maintains patient charts and ensures information is filed/scanned accurately.
6. Functions as a collaborative team member; demonstrated commitment to group goals and teamwork.
7. Takes vitals on all patients to include height, weight, blood pressure and temperature.
8. Completes patient history, medication documentation, and other orders as instructed by the provider.
9. Performs point of care testing, phlebotomy and specimen collection, assists the providers with basic routine tests, injections and procedures (ECGs, Blood Glucose, etc.).
10. Maintains clinical equipment and notifies management of issues or concerns.
11. Operates equipment in a safe and competent manner.
12. Enters other pertinent patient data into EMR as requested by the provider.
13. Accurately documents point of care results to ensure charges are sent by the close of business.
14. Works within scope and with providers to answer patient phone questions and complete refill encounters with appropriate documentation in the chart or EMR.
15. Answers phones, screens calls, and communicates messages accurately and in a timely manner.
16. Restocks and prepares exam rooms for the next day according to par levels. Notifies staff member responsible for ordering supplies when appropriate.
17. Exhibits compassion and empathy for all patients and families at all times.
18. Functions effectively in all MA roles specific to clinic. Works independently and servers as a resource for others. May precept new MA and MA students within the clinic.
19. Administers select medications and injections under direct supervision of physician as per clinic policy. Assist in the UMMS immunization program, including giving injections and tracking data in a computer program.
20. Participates in MA skill development and competency evaluation. Participates in clinic peer review process.
21. Responsible for self-learning; attends educational offerings and in-service independently.
22. Active participant in clinic huddles/staff meetings.
23. Performs other duties as assigned.
As a University of Maryland Community Medical Group (UM CMG) employee, you will enjoy a comprehensive benefits program designed with you and your dependents in mind. Subject to any eligibility waiting period, all of the benefits are available to regular full-time employees and most benefits are available to regular part-time employees who are regularly scheduled to work twenty (20) or more hours per week. Many benefits are provided at no cost to employees. For others, the cost is shared between UM CMG and employees.
High School diploma or equivalent required.
Two (2) years of medical assisting and medical clinic experience required.
Active member of the American Association of Medical Assistant (AAMA) required.
Completion of an accredited Medical Assistant program.
Current BLS certification or obtained prior to providing direct patient care is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Previous experience using a business office suite, such as Microsoft Office, is preferred.
2. Knowledge of medical terminology preferred.
Ensures patient safety in the performance of job functions and through participation in hospital, department or unit patient safety initiatives.
1. Takes action to correct observed risks to patient safety
2. Reports adverse events and near misses to appropriate management authority.
3. Identifies possible risks in processes, procedures, devices and communicates the same to those in charge.