1. Greets patients and families, transfers patients into wheelchairs and escorts to assigned rooms and or ancillary areas.
2. Interviews patients to obtain demographic and insurance data and input into the appropriate online medical system. Verifies patient insurance information and obtains authorizations and/or approvals during the registration process. Ensures documents are completed to assist the hospital in obtaining reimbursement.
3. Identifies potential for financial risk; refers patient to financial counseling for guidance in identifying alternate financial arrangements. Explains insurance coverage and financial responsibilities to the patient and/or family. Communicates with clinical staff regarding patients with medical and or social needs.
4. Affix patient identification band to patient. Obtains signatures on all required registration forms and releases, scans all pertinent documents into the electronic financial record system for appropriate billing and follow up.
5. Maintains continuous contact with the patients, insurance carriers, and other medical system services to ensure all necessary information is obtained for reimbursement, and pre-admission and pre-certification requirements are followed.
6. Ensures accuracy and completion of paperwork, prior to filing admissions. Contacts physician/clinical staff to assist with incomplete patient registration paperwork. Distribute admission documents if required.
7. Updates patient accounts records to ensure accurate and up-to date data is maintained, documents patient information into account notes for billing process. Changes payers’ financial class in accordance with departmental procedures.
8. Provides patients and/or visitors with information pertaining to hospital procedures or other pertinent information.
9. Processes patient discharges and transfers accurately after obtaining required information from nursing units. Accurately enters diagnosis and billing charges into patient electronic system for billing of services rendered.