Job Facility: University of Maryland Medical System
Employment Type: Full Time
What You Will Do:
The University of Maryland Medical System is a 14-hospital system with academic, community and specialty medical services reaching every part of Maryland and beyond. UMMS is a national and regional referral center for trauma, cancer care, Neurocare, cardiac care, women's and children's health and physical rehabilitation. UMMS is the fourth largest private employer in the Baltimore metropolitan area and one of the top 20 employers in the state of Maryland. No organization will give you the clinical variety, the support, or the opportunities for professional growth that you’ll enjoy as a member of our team. UMMS is currently seeking an Administrative Assistant for our Baltimore Washington Medical Center location.
****High School Diploma or equivalent (GED), proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Internet, excellent typing and data entry skills and 3 years of general clerical and/or administrative experience is REQUIRED****
Under limited supervision, provides a variety of administrative services to an organizational unit requiring a thorough knowledge of departmental practices and procedures. Prepares documents and various materials, responds to straight forward correspondence and telephone inquiries, maintains filing systems, and prepares basic to moderately complex statistical data.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. These are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Responds to internal and external telephone calls, inquiries and visitors following established departmental procedures. Initiates or responds to correspondence and memoranda. Serves as administrative liaison internally and outside the organization regarding issues affecting departmental activities.
2. Prepares and ensures accuracy of confidential documents, in accordance with department procedures. Prepares presentation material as required.
3. Schedules and coordinates meetings, appointments, travel arrangements and conferences. Prepares agendas, assembles background materials. Attends meetings, prepares notes and performs required administrative follow-up.
4. Compiles and reviews financial data and/or statistical data for completeness and accuracy prior to distribution or use.
5. Provides support for special projects and assignments: researches, analyzes, and summarizes information and source materials for reports.
6. Maintains various paper and electronic filing systems in accordance with department procedures or The Joint Commission record keeping requirements.
7. Orders and maintains office/clinical supplies and equipment and maintains related expense records.
8. Maintains established hospital/unit policies, procedures, objectives, quality assurance, safety, environmental and infection control standards.
As a University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS) employee, you will enjoy a comprehensive benefits program designed with you and your dependents in mind. Subject to any eligibility waiting period, all of the benefits are available to regular full-time employees and most benefits are available to regular part-time employees who are regularly scheduled to work twenty (20) or more hours per week. Many benefits are provided at no cost to employees. For others, the cost is shared between UMMS and employees.
What You Need to Be Successful:
High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) is required.
3 years of general clerical and/or administrative experience is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. PC literate with proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Internet. Excellent typing and data entry skills are required. Proficient transcription skills may be required.
2. Highly effective verbal, written and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with medical staff, colleagues, patients and/or visitors to establish working relationships that foster quality customer service. Familiarity with medical terminology is preferred in some units/departmental areas.
3. Knowledge and ability to understand procedures, practices and policies in the assigned departmental unit and Medical Center.
4. Excellent filing and organization skills with ability to prioritize own work.
5. Ability to maintain confidentiality, work under pressure, handle multiple tasks and meet related deadlines.
6. Ability to establishes and maintain courteous and effective relationships, and demonstrate sensitivity and awareness of customer needs; when dealing with patients/visitors, co-workers and healthcare staff.