The UM CMG’s Billing Liaison oversees the output and quality of all assigned front-end and back-end business functions, and collaborates with the Director of Practice Operations and Director of Pro Fee Revenue Cycle to identify strategies for performance improvement on a regular basis. This position manages and monitors the performance of all assigned providers, motivating them to work quickly and with precision. This individual will also work interdependently with other department’s staff, create reports regularly, and complete other duties as assigned. The Billing Liaison is ultimately responsible for much of UM CMG’s financial health for BWMC region and the associated functions which play a large role in reimbursement, cash flow, and whether a patient will return for service.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
1. Collects, reconciles and scans all provider billing from specified departments on a daily basis for CBO.
2. Performs post-reconciliation on billing to ensure timely coding and charge entry.
3. Regularly analyzes data for assigned work queues and prepares reports on provider’s performance as required and/or requested.
4. Serves as a resource for provider questions / concerns related to billing and business office functions.
5. Troubleshoots and resolves any technological or process issues encountered throughout daily activities.
6. Regularly reports to Director on any areas for improvement identified within business office procedures and enacts any upper-level recommendations quickly.
7. Plays an active role in setting goals with management, communicates goals to providers, and evaluates key performance indicators to ensure performance measures align with organizational goals; helps plan initiatives to increase performance as needed.
8. Continually evaluates departmental process flows and practices in order to identify potential process inefficiencies and seek opportunities for improvement; conveys feedback and suggestions to Director.
9. Leads the orientation and training process for newly hired staff. Assists in developing new-hire curricula, providing initial education, and planning ongoing professional development opportunities for existing staff members.
10. Regularly assesses / monitors quality and productivity levels for both individual staff members and the team as a whole; identifies and re-trains underperforming staff members as needed. Meets with team members falling below organizational productivity and/or quality standards to develop and administer a performance improvement plan.
11. Acts in accordance with UM CMG’s mission and values, while serving as a role model for ethical behavior interacting with patients, relatives, and organizational staff in a professional manner.
12. Ensures departmental staff members adhere to federal and state regulations related to the protection of patient information (e.g., the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)) as well as facility-specific guidelines.
As a UM CMG employee and a part of the University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS), you will enjoy a comprehensive benefits program designed with you and your dependents in mind. Subject to any eligibility waiting period, all of the benefits are available to regular full-time employees and most benefits are available to regular part-time employees who are regularly scheduled to work twenty (20) or more hours per week. Many benefits are provided at no cost to employees. For others, the cost is shared between UM CMG and employees.
High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) is required.
Three years healthcare business office experience (in areas such as accounts receivable, collections, billing, cash posting etc.) preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Highly effective verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills to communicate effectively with all levels of staff, patients and physicians.
Excellent understanding of medical terminology, billing codes, and coding systems (ICD-9, ICD-10, HCPCS, Modifiers, CPT).
Excellent working knowledge of the regulatory issues associated with Protected Health Information.
Ability to judge the level of confidentiality required for the use of Protected Health Information, exhibit integrity in use of dissemination of such information.
Demonstrated knowledge of MS Office software applications such as Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word and billing system is required.
Ability to maintain a culture of excellent customer service, open and friendly staff relations with all levels of staff.
Strong critical thinking, organizational, and problem solving skills.
Ability to work in a team environment and motivate team members.
Ability to defuse conflicts and handle stressful situations in a positive manner.