The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Provides comprehensive patient care to and coordinates multidisciplinary care for solid organ pre and post transplant patients.
A. Designs patient pre-transplant evaluations including the clinical workup (appropriate diagnostic studies, lab work, hepatology, nutrition, social work, and surgical assessment).
B. Coordinates discussion of living donor (LD) as a treatment option for potential liver transplant recipients and assists patients in exploring options.
C. Works directly with the transplant team, managing care of potential pre transplant candidates and post transplant recipients.
D. Works directly with the multidisciplinary care team, and coordinates inpatient and post transplant care of transplant recipients
E. Triages all pre and post-transplant outpatient phone calls, guiding patient care through coordination of multidisciplinary aspects.
F. Coordinates scheduling of all pre and post hospitalization medical procedures, diagnostic testing, clinic visits, and medicine changes deemed necessary by physician and/or protocol.
2. Communicates with referring physicians concerning patient eligibility, protocols, transplant pre-treatment regimens and related issues.
3. Notifies transplant team members of post-transplant admissions, including admitting personnel, transplant resident, referring physician, and patient placement center.
4. Coordinates patient transportation and admission to hospital when deemed necessary by physician and or protocol. Provides ongoing pre and post transplant care maintenance.
5. Coordinates scheduling of all pre hospitalization medical procedures, diagnostic tests, clinic visits and meetings in a medically and logistically appropriate order deemed necessary by physician and/or protocol.
6. Under physician supervision, assists patients with medication management, prescription refills, and authorizations as required.
7. Reviews laboratory studies and reports abnormal results to physician.
8. Maintains transplant waiting list, including direct contact with Organ Procurement Organization. Completes diagnostic work up and ensures that all waiting patients are ready for transplant. Initiates comprehensive review of all waiting list candidates
9. Maintains direct contact with the Living Legacy Foundation regarding donor organ offer data and recipient follow up.
10. Coordinates data collection for pre and post-transplant recipients. Completes all United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) forms required pre and post-transplant.
11. Obtains and organizes patient information in transplant database. Assists financial counselor, nutritionist and social worker with patient issues/information as necessary. Works closely with the financial counselor to address and resolve any concerns pre-transplant. Interacts closely with social worker and nutritionist to communicate patient needs and to assure that all patient needs are met.
12. Provides appropriate nursing units with transplant educational materials and continual updates as needed or required.
13. Provides ongoing patient/family education and support. Provides patient education and pertinent transplant information to post transplant recipients.
14. Assists in the development of patient and family educational materials and ensures that all material is updated as new information becomes available.
15. Participates in patient-related consultations with physician staff as requested, including attendance at multidisciplinary meetings/rounds.
16. Establishes and maintains frequent contact with referring physicians and institutions to ensure the timely transmission of pertinent medical information.
17. Communicates with referring physician immediately post-transplant. Communicates during the post-transplant outpatient phase as necessary
18. Assists in the development of all transplant related clinical protocols.
19. Assists the Medical Director in a variety of areas to facilitate the Transplant Program.
A. Assists with promotion of the transplant program through interaction with referring physicians and education of dialysis unit nurses and staff.
B. Attends and participates in various in-service and external training, workshops, conferences and other relevant programs for professional growth and development.