Job Facility: University of Maryland Medical System
Employment Type: Full Time
What You Will Do:
The University of Maryland Medical Systemis a 14-hospital system with academic, community and specialty medical services reaching every part of Maryland and beyond. UMMS is a national and regional referral center for trauma, cancer care, Neurocare, cardiac care, women's and children's health and physical rehabilitation. UMMS is the fourth largest private employer in the Baltimore metropolitan area and one of the top 20 employers in the state of Maryland. No organization will give you the clinical variety, the support, or the opportunities for professional growth that you’ll enjoy as a member of our team. UMMS is currently seeking aFinancial Analyst for our Baltimore location.
**** Bachelor’s degree in Business, Economics, Accounting, Finance, Statistics, or a related field with principals or practices in analysis and financial reporting is REQUIRED****
Under general supervision reports, analyzes, and interprets complex abstract and financial data to assist management in evaluating and executing revenue maximization initiatives in compliance with the Health Services Cost Review Commission (HSCRC) and Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) regulations. Serves as UMMS liaison for assigned hospital(s) and supports Sr. Analysts and other team members.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Produces and distributes routine internal reports for monthly financial processes to ensure accurate revenue booking and compliance. These reports include, but are not limited to, case mix analytical packages, audit impact accruals, hospital utilization data, market shift analysis, and data integrity reporting.
2. Produces and submits various reports and data submissions to external agencies, including HSCRC abstract data tapes, HSCRC tape reconciliations, hospital surveys, and other as required. Ensures complete and accurate data capture in compliance with published regulations and deadlines for assigned hospitals.
3. Produces and distributes routine internal reports for revenue maximization initiatives to include, but not limited to, reimbursement strategies, case mix audits, clinical documentation reviews, and quality-based reimbursement programs.
4. Monitors variances in data integrity, case mix, and quality performance. Works with others to coordinate resolution of issues and identification of opportunities for improvement.
5. Assists team members and management in developing, enhancing, and maintaining standard processes, databases, reference data, and reports to support accurate, consistent, efficient, and quality service to internal and external customers.
6. Coordinates and prepares System level summary reports, ad hoc reports, and special projects, as requested.
7. Attends and participates in in-service training and various educational programs for continuous professional development.
As a University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS) employee, you will enjoy a comprehensive benefits program designed with you and your dependents in mind. Subject to any eligibility waiting period, all of the benefits are available to regular full-time employees and most benefits are available to regular part-time employees who are regularly scheduled to work twenty (20) or more hours per week. Many benefits are provided at no cost to employees. For others, the cost is shared between UMMS and employees.
What You Need to Be Successful:
Bachelor’s degree in Business, Economics, Accounting, Finance, Statistics, or a related field with principals or practices in analysis and financial reporting.
Prior financial and/or data experience preferred but not required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Knowledge and experience with spreadsheets (MS-Excel, Lotus), word processing, and other finance related software programs. Knowledge of databases (MS-Access) and SAS preferred.
2. Ability to process, assess, and summarize large amounts of financial and clinical data into useful information.
3. Proficient understanding of data flow and information systems of business operations.
4. Concern for quality and ability to identify errors and implement corrections.
5. Highly effective verbal and written communication skills are necessary in dealing with a variety of healthcare and finance professionals including senior management staff.
6. Ability to work effectively in a matrix work environment and manage multiple deadline-driven tasks and projects.
7. Demonstrates ability to learn and understand complex Medicare and HSCRC regulations.
8. Familiarity with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).