Under general supervision, responsible for the day-to-day operations of work within the Planning & Project Management department of UMMC Facilities. This position will formalize and/or develop, in conjunction with the Director of Project Development policies and procedures, standards, and objectives for the department. This position will also have administrative oversight of the facilities changes noted in both the Facility condition assessment and the Space management assessment conducted by third party engineering firms. This position will be responsible for administrative and analytical support on financial and operational issues as requested relating to Project Development department.
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Project Management and Coordination: Provides administrative management support for the development and management of departmental services and operations related to capital projects throughout the Medical Center. Will lead planning and implementation of major departmental programmatic or technological initiatives as directed by departmental management.
A. Works with all Facilities and support services departments to ensure appropriate and timely coordination with Planning and Project Management
B. Prepares monthly project reports distributed to Medical Center Directors, and quarterly executive program summary.
C. Plans, organizes, and promotes department mission, vision, values, and culture jointly with the Director of Project Development. Participates actively in the development and execution of goals and objectives within the context of the plan. Reviews departmental operations to support and improve quality, and ensure compliance with established standards of improvement for the Medical Center.
D. Assists in formulating, communicating, and interpreting policies and procedures related to operations and capital projects. Updates the departmental operating procedures manual on a regular basis (once a year at a minimum).
E. Prepares and documents work flow processes. Identifies when work simplification methods are needed and recommends necessary revisions or modifications. Ensures that changes are appropriately implemented.
2. Workload and Resource Planning: Budget and staffing management to assure effective project execution. Tracks all costs associated with Capital Overhead and Project Management on both a project and program level. Utilize this information to develop and maintain appropriate level of time and cost projections for planned projects. With input from the Director and senior staff, is responsible for workload planning.
A. Coordinates and tracks work flow & schedules. Provides feedback, tracks performance, and updates status of all capital projects in a timely manner, and ensures that actions are appropriately implemented.
B. Oversees the departments’ staffing and scheduling function,
C. Develops and assigns responsibilities to maximize productivity and service including capital program planning & execution. Coordinates with other departmental staff in analyzing schedules and balances man hours required to support capital projects.
D. Oversees staff performing routine clerical duties associated with completing the aforementioned responsibilities. Participates in workload planning, priority setting, coaching, and evaluation of the administrative staff.
3. Capital Program Coordination & Financial Management
A. Manages operating cost centers within Project Development.
B. Functions as primary liaison between Finance and Project Development on daily activites
a) Manages and balances Capital Overhead Account including regular adjustments of the funding level and staff allocation. Monitors actual spending against the budget
4. Professional Development & Management: Manages and provides guidance and direction to Administrative staff to ensure accurate and timely production of work, and efficient and effective operations. Coordinates functions and activities to achieve department objectives and comply with regulatory requirements.
A. Manages all aspects of Human Resources coordination, including policy and procedure updates, hiring, onboarding of new staff.
a) Evaluates performance and initiates or approves personnel actions such as merit increases, promotions, corrective action, and career/practice development incentives. Encourages career/practice development through such strategies as in-service education and outside conferences
b) Ensure completeness, accuracy, relevance, and distribution of the departmental policy and procedure manual and related policies for staff. Monitor and assess “best practices” and/or national trends that contribute to the continuing education and professional development of the staff.
c) Performs training, evaluation, discipline and performance reviews. Initiates, recommends personnel actions such as merit increases, transfers, disciplinary actions and terminations as appropriate.
d) Oversees performance management with other senior staff to ensure fairness and equity between teams, and to assure financial guidelines are met in regard to merit increases.
e) Organizes focus groups to address employee concerns raised during the annual Employee Opinion Survey and during Open Forum Discussions.
B. Develops and maintains training program based on each job description core competencies.
a) Develop core competencies for each job description. Align job descriptions with core competencies.
b) Create and maintain training program to assure staff are meeting core competencies.
c) Create a training program which promotes staff development and career growth opportunities
d) Plans, implements, and evaluates continuing education programs designed to expand knowledge of staff for professional practice. Maintains records and documentation associated with continuing education programs.
C. Promotes positive employee relations and resolves departmental problems. Promotes intradepartmental communication and cooperation.
D. Participates in continuing education for department staff. Promotes and encourages professional growth and development of personnel through attendance at in-services, workshops and seminars.
5. Data Management:
A. Administrator for all departmental IT systems.
B. Evaluates departmental information systems and recommends improved tracking mechanisms. Establishes databases and generates reports to track project status.
1. Bachelor’s degree in Heath Care Administration, Engineering, Architecture, Business Administration, or a related field is required, or an equivalent combination of education and applicable work experience.
2. Minimum of five years of project coordination or related experience in a demanding service environment is required. Experience in a facilities or construction-related environment is required.