University of Maryland Medical Center - Midtown Campus has had a long history of working to keep our community healthy. Located in Baltimore’s cultural center near the historic Mount Vernon neighborhood, UMMC Midtown Campus is a 200-bed non-profit, community teaching hospital, and part of the University of Maryland Medical System. UMMC Midtown Campus was named a 2014-2015 Best Regional Hospital in Baltimore by U.S. News & World Report.
UMMC Midtown is seeking an Emergency Department Tech PT Night.
The Emergency Room Technician assists in the delivery of patient care under the clinical supervision of the Registered Nurse (RN). Direct care activities are delegated by the Registered Nurse and consistent with the Maryland Board of Nursing-Nurse Practice Act. Direct care includes activities involving the care and nutrition of patients, provision of direct observation, and transportation of patients and documentation of those activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assists with direct patient care procedures and related tasks under the direction and supervision of the Registered Nurse.
1.1 Set up rooms for incoming arrest and or major trauma and assists with procedures.
1.2 Assists with respiratory care: set-up nasal cannula, ventimask, and non-rebreather.
2. Provides care on a functional basis to a patient or group of patients. Duties and responsibilities include but not limited to:
2.1 Provides comfort measures to patients.
2.2 Observes patients condition and documents vital signs T, P, R, blood pressure and O2 saturation. Reports changes to responsible RN.
2.3 Measures and records intake and output, collects specimen and processes appropriately.
2.4 Assists with setup and positioning of patients for the following procedures (but not limited to): central line insertion, chest tube insertion, lumbar puncture, intubation, foley catheter insertion. Assists with NG tube insertion, pacemakers, sutures, splinting procedures, application of orthopedic soft goods and pelvic exams.
2.5 Obtain and records height and weight of patients.
2.6 Completes clothing and valuable lists for admitted patients according to established procedures.
2.7 Performs the following procedures competently and per policy and procedures under the direct supervision of the Registered Nurse:
c. insertion of saline locks
d. application of clean sterile dressing
e. application of restraints
f. administration of tube feedings
g. performs 12 lead EKG
h. nasal suctioning
i. insertion of foley catheter
j. post mortem care
3. Identifies and responds promptly to patient needs, respecting dignity and privacy.
4. Informs RN immediately of all monitor alarms.
5. Provides and maintains a safe and orderly environment for patient care, i.e., side rails up, safe transport to other units.
6. Prepares instruments and equipment for material processing exchange.
7. Provides assistance orienting to proper use and care of equipment and on location of supplies.
8. Performs post mortem care according to hospital policy.
9. Initiates CPR as necessary; maintains cardiopulmonary resuscitation competency.
10. Improve patient safety in the delivery of health care by understanding and applying the patient safety goals.
11. Completes appropriate documentation in accordance with hospital guidelines.
12. Participates in the orientation, training, and evaluation of new staff.
13. Maintains competency and yearly educational requirements for position.
14. Adheres to all procedures related to infection control principles.
15. Attends and actively participates in meetings as required.
16. Demonstrates support and compliance with University Maryland Medical Center Midtown Campus’ mission, vision, values, philosophy, goals, objectives and policies.
Currently certified as a CNA by the Maryland Board of Nursing.
High School diploma or GED
Completion of Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Certification preferred.
One year experience as an Emergency Department Technician (EDT) required.
One year experience as an EMT provider preferred.