University of Maryland Medical Center - Midtown Campus has had a long history of working to keep our community healthy. Located in Baltimore’s cultural center near the historic Mount Vernon neighborhood, UMMC Midtown Campus is a 200-bed non-profit, community teaching hospital, and part of the University of Maryland Medical System. UMMC Midtown Campus was named a 2014-2015 Best Regional Hospital in Baltimore by U.S. News & World Report.
UMMC Midtown is seeking a Behavioral Health Specialist Psych FT Day.
The Behavioral Health Associate (BHA) performs direct patient care under the supervision of the Registered Nurse. The BHA recognizes and assists with patient needs, documents in the medical record, facilitates therapeutic groups, ensures a safe patient milieu and assists with implementing treatment planning. The BHA functions as a member of the multidisciplinary treatment team.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks:
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. These are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Completes vital signs, including height and weight and documents in the patient record. Reports results to the RN.
2. Participates in treatment planning by conveying patient observations to licensed staff.
3. Facilitates therapeutic groups and ensures documentation is complete as required.
4. Assists with milieu management and participates in the management of aggressive patients as needed to ensure the safety of patient, self, and others. Recognizes early warning signs of escalating behaviors and intervenes appropriately.
5. Assists with admissions, transfers and discharges including assistance with data collection.
6. Monitors patients on all observation levels including suicide precautions and close observation per policy. Communicates changes in patient status to the licensed professional as needed.
7. Engages in therapeutic activities including 1:1 interactions with the patient.
8. Utilizes coaching and prompting techniques to foster self-care and assists patients with activities of daily living as needed. Reports patient care needs to the RN.
9. Completes documentation relevant to activities. Complies with and ensures adherence to documentation standards.
10. Contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives while adhering to department policies, procedures, and quality and safety standards. Complies with governmental and accreditation regulations.
11. Communicates effectively with other health care providers to ensure continuity and coordination of care.
12. Maintains competency and yearly educational requirements for position.
13. Attends and actively participates in meetings as required.
14. Demonstrates support and compliance with University of Maryland Medical Center Midtown Campus’s mission, vision, values, philosophy, goals, objectives and policies.
15. Performs additional functions and activities as assigned.
Associate’s degree in Psychology with 1 year healthcare experience or Bachelor’s degree in Psychology.
Minimum of 1 year experience in the delivery of services to a psychiatric population.