Reporting to the SVP & Chief Strategy Officer, the VP of Ambulatory Services is responsible for developing and leading implementation of UMMS’ system-wide ambulatory care strategies. This individual will lead the identification, implementation, and execution of tactics to assure a high performing, consumer centric enterprise-wide network of ambulatory/outpatient services.
To be effective in the role, this leader will actively collaborate with senior leadership of UMMS’ and the UM Faculty Practices, Inc. (UM FPI), physician leadership, member hospital CEOs, the UMMS health plans, UMMS’ employed provider groups and other staff throughout the organization across multiple markets to implement system-wide ambulatory programs and initiatives driven to deliver outstanding customer service.
The VP of Ambulatory Services is responsible for providing oversight, direction and coordination to encompass the full array of ambulatory services provided by the health system, including but not limited to urgent care, ambulatory surgery, virtual care, primary care, outpatient specialty care and other outpatient diagnostic and treatment services as directed.
- Establishes and drives a comprehensive ambulatory strategy and program that supports the organization's strategy, vision, values, goals, and ambulatory purpose statement
- Coordinates and collaborates with Health System and Hospital Executive Leadership, the School of Medicine, Medical Group and Faculty Physician Leadership, Finance, IS&T, Telemedicine, Marketing, Human Resources, Business Development, and other diverse stakeholders in the development and execution of the ambulatory program.
- Monitors the operating and financial performance of the health system’s ambulatory lines of business and joint ventures and facilitates performance improvement strategies in partnership with accountable operational leaders.
- Assesses and monitors patient satisfaction across all ambulatory service lines and develops tactics to assure the health system is delivering the best patient experience
- Partners with operational leaders to deliver customer service training and professional development across all sites of outpatient care to deliver an integrated, customer centric experience to all patients
- Develops and continually tests and refines ambulatory programs, services, and tactics to ensure provision of clear, convenient, and connected care to consumers in the market.
- Leads efforts to achieve accreditation of outpatient services
- Promotes a culture of two-way communication that informs, engages, and creates opportunities for physician/staff participation. Works closely with enterprise, hospital market, medical group, and service area leadership.
- Provides direction and leadership of ambulatory activities across the health system enterprise.
- Coordinates, as requested, operational and advisory committees and work teams.
- Manages multiple vendors, partners, and internal customers.
- Develops consistent data extraction, management and reporting processes and capabilities and shares key information with appropriate leaders and staff.
- Works collaboratively with leaders who have accountability for assigned services across the ambulatory enterprise to achieve goals established by the organization
- Monitors financial, operational, and patient experience metrics of ambulatory service lines throughout the system to assure goal achievement.
- Ensures effective processes are in place to foster open lines of communication with leadership, physicians, and staff relating to ambulatory care.
- Ensures information is communicated vertically and laterally to other departments, entities, and partners as needed, and keeps leadership informed of any issues.
- Ensures a positive provider and staff satisfaction and experience.
- Develops a collaborative team-based environment that drives a culture of customer service focused on consumers and patients across the enterprise.
- Ensures that ambulatory teams work collaboratively with others in successfully supporting defined strategic initiatives
- Develops, inspires, and maintains an effective, visible, and well-respected team by selecting, evaluating, developing, coaching, and managing the performance of qualified professionals