At the University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC), a designated Magnet facility, we are a team. Nurses and doctors, specialists and therapists, work shoulder-to-shoulder to give our patients the care they deserve. We take time to celebrate each other’s contributions and treat each other with respect by valuing each other’s ideas and opinions. Ultimately, we support each other’s growth. Together, we form a world-class team dedicated to furthering the practice of patient care.
- Under general supervision, performs scheduling, pre-authorization and administrative activities for patients. Ensures the accurate registration of patients, interviews patients to obtain necessary demographic and insurance information to determine patients’ financial status.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
- Schedules patients for admissions, evaluations, re-evaluations and treatment in accordance with physicians’ schedules, managed care contracts and UMMS policies and procedures. Accepts referrals from social workers, discharge planners, physicians and physicians' offices. Schedules outpatient tests and procedures required.
- Obtains and inputs pre-authorization insurance and demographic information into the appropriate medical/scheduling system. Verifies patient benefits and eligibility prior to completing referral.
- Reminds patients of upcoming appointments, changes to schedules, co-payments required, and pertinent insurance information.
- Provides patients, family members and referral sources with information pertaining hospital policies and procedures, programs available and locations.
- Coordinates patient transfers from other local hospitals to UMMC; responsible for locating hospital beds.
- Maintains inventory and orders supplies and performs other office related duties as required.
- Reviews all visits prior to surgery dates to determine need for referral or pre-authorization and collects all fees/co-payments prior to the day of surgery.
- May maintain the operating room book for the department and/or division. Obtains all required labs/test results prior to day of surgery and forwards results to the PREPCenter prior to surgery.
- Competetive Salary/Hourly Rate
- A full benefit package including Health, Vision, Dental, 3 weeks’ vacation + sick + floating personal holidays, retirement contribution, and more