The Surgical Technologist is a member of the health care team. The technologist prepares the OR by setting up the instrumentation and equipment and by checking that all are functioning properly. He/she also assures that the surgical field is set up according to the procedure and the surgeon’s preference. The technologist scrubs to assist the surgeon during the procedure by passing instruments and sterile supplies to the surgeon and assistants, keeping the area clean and free of clutter and assuring sterile technique is followed at the surgical field. The Surgical Technologist assists with room turnover, cleaning what is necessary after the procedure and setting up and preparing the room for the next procedure in a timely manner. In addition, the Surgical Technologist assists with instrument and equipment cleaning and maintenance.
1. Communicates well with the circulating nurse to assure continuity of care and efficient turnover and preparation of room, based on patient and surgeon needs.
2. Assists with the safe transportation of the patient to an individual operating suite, to PACU or Nursing Unit as directed.
3. Assists with positioning of the patient in accordance with proper body alignment under the supervision of registered nurse.
4. Assists with maintaining skin integrity.
5. Anticipates surgeons’ needs for instrumentation, sutures, sponges and supplies according to technique, procedure and special requirements.
6. Adheres to OR standards on traffic flow, dress code, disinfection and sterilization, asceptic technique, as well as safety standards on medication labeling, counts etc. in order to assure a safe environment for the patient as well as other team members in the room.
7. Assists circulating nurse in monitoring compliance to standards of other staff in the room.
8. Maintains a quiet atmosphere in the Operating Room.
9. Handles emergencies well.
10. Consistently performs scrub duties with efficiency, while following all standards of practice.
11. Good rapport with the surgeons.
12. Assists with cleaning the room, furniture, and equipment according to prescribed procedures between cases. Wipes down equipment at the end of each day.
13. Assist with maintaining current physician and procedural reference data.
14. Performs and completes assignments with enthusiasm and self direction.
15. Performs additional functions as assigned by Clinical Manger or Charge Nurse.