Job Facility: University of Maryland Medical System
Employment Type: Not Indicated
What You Will Do:
The University of Maryland Medical System is a 14-hospital system with academic, community and specialty medical services reaching every part of Maryland and beyond. UMMS is a national and regional referral center for trauma, cancer care, Neurocare, cardiac care, women's and children's health and physical rehabilitation. UMMS is the fourth largest private employer in the Baltimore metropolitan area and one of the top 20 employers in the state of Maryland. No organization will give you the clinical variety, the support, or the opportunities for professional growth that you’ll enjoy as a member of our team.UMMS is currently seeking a Financial Reporting Managerfor our Baltimore location.
***MUST BE A CPA (Certified Public Accountant) ***
***Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or equivalent, 5 years of experience in a progressively responsible professional accounting experience, and 3 years supervisory/management experience is REQUIRED***
Under general supervision, reviews, modifies, and implements procedures, methods and systems of general accounting in compliance with federal, state and local laws and regulations, and generally accepted accounting procedures.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Manages and directs the operations of the General Accounting department including employee work scheduling, staffing and other personnel activities; applies hospital policies and procedures as well as federal, state, and local statues or regulations governing general accounting practices to insure accurate and effective service.
A. Insures that hospital policies and procedures are interpreted and applied correctly. Develops and implements accounting policies and procedures as necessary to improve area operations. Provides technical support regarding the implementation of tax regulations, generally accepted accounting principles and financial reporting requirements to the VP, Directors, and Senior Managers of Financial Reporting, to controllers of subsidiaries, affiliates, joint ventures and other members of management.
B. Supervises the preparation of the financial statements in accordance with UMMS procedures and generally accepted accounting principles. Reviews and supervises the maintenance of the general ledger of accounts. Reviews the reconciliation of and interfaces between Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Fixed Assets, and Payroll subsidiary ledgers with the general ledger.
C. Reviews daily cash analysis preparation; communicates with the bank and with the various UMMS finance departments to record present and project future cash activity.
D. Assures the accurate and timely preparation of various federal and state tax filings.
E. Oversees billing and collecting for miscellaneous receivables, assuring accuracy and reimbursement, regarding such items as, salary reimbursements from UMAB, Materials Management activity, campus contract with UMAB and other activity with affiliates.
F. Co-ordinates the annual external audit and ensures that all information is available and completed on a timely basis.
G. Maintains and disseminates financial management reports.
2. Manages and directs a staff of CPA’s, accountants and accounting support staff in accordance with departmental and UMMS personnel policies and procedures.
A. Performs individual performance evaluations and recommends and/or initiates disciplinary actions, as needed. Establishes clear and concise work procedures and expectations, assessing performance levels by monitoring results and providing positive and constructive feedback.
B. Assures timely and accurate completion of work by monitoring daily work activities.
C. Trains staff on new accounting practices, provides guidance on technical and reporting issues and otherwise promotes staff professional development.
3. Prepares, administers and assists the VP, Directors, and Senior Managers of Financial Reporting with the development of the department operating budget. Identifies cost saving strategies related to administrative or operating expenses. Assists in coordinating the reduction of operating expenses while increasing productivity and trying to maintain positive staff morale.
4. Communicates regularly with various finance personnel to ensure optimal efficiency and effectiveness of financial reporting.
5. Keeps abreast of current regulatory (federal, state and TJC) information/guidelines in the finance and healthcare fields as well as new, related UMMS policies. Communicates relevant changes and/or protocol and procedural revisions to staff. Implements appropriate department operational changes to ensure compliance.
As an employee of the University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS), you will enjoy a comprehensive benefits program designed with you and your dependents in mind. Subject to any eligibility waiting period, all of the benefits are available to regular full-time employees and most benefits are available to regular part-time employees who are regularly scheduled to work twenty (20) or more hours per week. Many benefits are provided at no cost to employees. For others, the cost is shared between UMMS and employees.
What You Need to Be Successful:
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Accounting or Finance and CPA is required.
Five years progressively responsible professional accounting experience, or equivalent, is required.
Three years supervisory/management experience is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Knowledge of state and federal tax laws and regulations is required. Demonstrated knowledge of general accounting principles is required. Proficiency in preparing and analyzing financial data and implementing changes to contain costs for budgetary purposes.
2. Proficient knowledge of supervising, monitoring daily work activities, evaluating, training and motivating performance of subordinate technical, professional and clerical support staff.
3. Proficient organization and problem-solving skills are required to develop/implement efficient work processes and to successfully resolve difficult, conflict-oriented situations. Ability to work effectively in a stressful work environment. Ability to handle confidential issues with integrity and discretion.
4. Highly effective verbal and written communication skills are necessary.
5. Highly proficient mathematical skills are required, including calculating percentages, addition, subtraction, and multiplication, using a calculator or related equipment as appropriate or otherwise ability to manipulate numbers.
6. Ability to operate a personal computer and proficiency with the following applications is required: MS Excel, MS Word, PowerPoint. A working knowledge of the following applications is also preferred: FRx, Access, PFM and PMM.