The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Prepares and cooks entrees soups, vegetables, and starches using griddle, frying, steaming, and broiling equipment. Cuts, trims and cooks meat, fish, and poultry; adds spices and seasoning, and prepares the food items using the appropriate equipment according to the recipe. Slices, carves, or otherwise portions cooked foods to ensure effective portion control and optimum use of food.
2. Cooks food items such as meats, entrée dishes, vegetables, specific patient diet order menu items, etc according to department guidelines.
3. Ensures the maintenance of hospital and departmental quality and quantity standards.
A. Follows recipes and makes amounts required by production work sheets.
B. Monitors product while cooking, adjusting temperatures and time to maintain quality standards. Used batch cooking as appropriate.
4. Maintains a safe and sanitary work area at all times.
A. Cleans and maintains cooking, preparation, and serving equipment according to a cleaning schedule and departmental guidelines.
B. Checks equipment to ensure proper functioning and reports equipment malfunction to immediate supervisor.
5. Evaluates food services preparation; reports spoiled or unattractive food, defective supplies or equipment, and other unusual conditions to the supervisor.
6. Ensures adequate level of food supplies for daily cooking needs; informs supervisor as needed to maintain sufficient supplies.
7. Follows Department procedures to ensure the safe handling of all food items including covering, labeling, and dating of food items.
8. Attends mandatory meetings and in-service education programs as scheduled by the Department and/or Medical System.
9. Adheres to HACCP food handling and guidelines. Maintain temperature logs of prepared foods, holding refrigerators, etc.
10. Maintains compliance with standards of operation for services especially guidelines for food handling and storage and Business Conduct Guidelines. Maintains all records, operational standards and reports necessary to comply with government and accrediting agency standards, regulations and codes.