Under the supervision of the CBO Billing Supervisor, the Refund & Cash Application Specialistensures that payments are posted, reconciled and reported accurately for all professional fee billing. Determines if applied payments should be refunded; Researches patient’s accounts on all requested refunds and credit balances and completes necessary paperwork to finalize refund process.
***High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) is required. 2 - 3 years medical payment posting and refund experience preferred..***
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Receives and records all non-electronic payments from lockbox or other locations on a daily basis.
2. Reconciles all payment, adjustment and refund batches to the daily journal. Resolves any out of balance batches before closing. Responsible for reporting to CBO Billing Supervisor any problems or issues on the monthly reconciliation. Keeps all batches filed chronologically by date of entry to the system. Monthly inputting post goal of a minimum of $700,000 with less than a 3% error rate.
3. Update patient demographic information into Billing System as required from information received through the lockbox.
4. Posts all manual payments, adjustments and rejections to the correct patient account. Transfers secondary balances to the correct payor or patient as the account dictates. Forwards copies of rejections or incorrect payments to the Accounts Receivable Specialist for research and resolution.
5. Informs the Billing Supervisor of any insurance payment issues (payment below fee schedule, rejection of specific services) and works to resolve the issue, as appropriate.
6. Keeps daily work and batches in an organized manner to facilitate access.
7. Posts all unapplied cash to the appropriate service and patient account. Researches all credit balance accounts to ensure balance is actual credit prior to processing refunds for both insurance and patient amounts, including receiving refund checks, producing letters to patients and sending out checks and letters.
8. Attends all mandated department trainings and staff meetings.
As a University of Maryland Community Medical Group (UM CMG) employee, you will enjoy a comprehensive benefits program designed with you and your dependents in mind. Subject to any eligibility waiting period, all of the benefits are available to regular full-time employees and most benefits are available to regular part-time employees who are regularly scheduled to work twenty (20) or more hours per week. Many benefits are provided at no cost to employees. For others, the cost is shared between UM CMG and employees.
What You Need to Be Successful:
High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) is required.
Two to three years medical payment posting and refund experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Working knowledge of medical coding and insurance claims processing required.
2. Excellent typing/data entry skills are required.
3. Demonstrated knowledge of MS Office software applications such as Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word and billing system is required.
4. Ability to maintain a culture of excellent customer service, open and friendly staff relations with all levels of staff.
5. Effective verbal and written communication and listening skills are required to interact with various individuals seeking accounting-related information.
6. Ability to work to deadlines within a stressful environment during month end activities.