Vice President of Human Resources
University of Maryland Medical System has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Vice President of Human Resources to join the leadership team and provide HR leadership over all HR programs, operations and activities at UM Baltimore Washington Medical Center in Glen Burnie, Maryland.
Reporting to the CEO and Senior Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer, the Vice President of Human Resources (VP of HR) is responsible for serving as a strategic partner and internal consultant to executive and line management, providing strategic leadership and specialized expertise to assist the hospital in achieving their strategic and operational objectives.
- Serve as a member of the executive management team of SJMC and participate in the strategic planning and business development of the organization, and UMMS as applicable.
- Participate in and promote the ongoing refinement of a human resources strategic plan, and promote the understanding of the impact of human resources strategies and their capacity to drive and support business objectives.
- Proactively bring human resources issues, implications, and ideas to the senior management team, and serve as a key strategic business partner to the CEO and other senior management.
- Lead assigned hospital(s) efforts in the improvement of HR service delivery and quality performance.
- Through a variety of strategies, support line managers, directors, and senior management by ensuring that human resources are available to meet the business needs of the organization.
- Work with executive management to establish a sound plan of management succession that aligns with organizational and UMMS strategy and objectives.
- Through proper selection, placement, evaluation, and training of employees, ensure that their organization benefits from the key competencies and specific abilities needed in an ever-changing, increasingly technical healthcare environment.
- Participate in the development and implementation of talent acquisition (recruitment) strategies, programs, and processes, and ensure that the Shared Services model provides sufficient on-going support.
- Participate in the development and implementation of compensation and benefit plans that are competitive in the market and cost effective, as well as in compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
- Develop and maintain performance management systems that best reinforce strategies and work culture.
- Provide leadership with overall employee and labor relations strategies and objectives, and promote organizational practices that foster recognition of the value of individual and collective staff contributions.
- Coordinate with the local and UMMS communications departments, line and staff executives, and others in maintaining proactive communications initiatives necessary to keep management, staff, faculty, and volunteers properly informed of current and pending news and events, as applicable.
- Proactively help the local facilities adapt to new models of care delivery and patient/family services that will be part of healthcare reform, accountable care organizations, and other changes that lie ahead.