The University of Maryland Medical System is a 12-hospital system with academic, community and specialty medical services reaching every part of Maryland and beyond. UMMS is a national and regional referral center for trauma, cancer care, Neurocare, cardiac care, women's and children's health and physical rehabilitation. UMMS is the fourth largest private employer in the Baltimore metropolitan area and one of the top 20 employers in the state of Maryland. No organization will give you the clinical variety, the support, or the opportunities for professional growth that you’ll enjoy as a member of our team. UMMS is currently seeking a Supervising Senior Accountant for our Baltimore location.
Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, or related field or equivalent is required. Active Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is preferred.
Under general direction, perform highly advanced level accounting and reporting, primarily responsible to supervise the preparation and timely completion of financial reporting and analysis of assigned entities. Assist the manager with the departmental operations such as scheduling, hiring, completing annual performance evaluation and discipline of staff. Provide leadership and guidance to staff members.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Assist in managing and directing the operations of the Financial Reporting department including employee work scheduling, staffing and other personnel activities; apply UMMS policies and procedures as well as federal, state, and local statutes or regulations governing general accounting practices to ensure accurate and effective service.
A. Ensure that UMMS policies and procedures are interpreted and applied correctly. Implement accounting policies and procedures as necessary to improve UMMS operations. Provide technical support regarding the implementation of tax regulations, generally accepted accounting principles and financial reporting requirements to upper management of Financial Reporting, to controllers of subsidiaries, affiliates, and joint ventures, and other members of management.
B. Supervise the preparation of the financial statements in accordance with UMMS procedures and generally accepted accounting principles. Review and supervise the maintenance of the general ledger chart of accounts. Review the reconciliation of and interfaces between Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Fixed Assets, and Payroll subsidiary ledgers with the general ledger.
C. Assist in the accurate and timely preparation of various federal and state tax filings.
D. Assist in the coordination of the annual external audit and ensures that all information is available and completed on a timely basis.
E. Maintain and disseminate financial management reports.
2. Supervise, provide leadership and guidance to accounting support personnel to assure accuracy and efficiency of work activities in accordance with departmental policies and procedures.
A. Participate in the hiring and performance evaluation, as appropriate. Monitor, train, review and provide technical direction to staff on accounting practices and departmental procedures.
B. Supervise and assist staff in recording transactions in the general ledger and in performing reconciliations of accounts.
3. Create and produce various management tools and financial performance information as deemed necessary by the financial management staff and Medical System department heads in monitoring financial performance. Participate in and contribute to the development of computerized financial management systems. Such responsibilities may include the following:
A. Create and coordinate the timely distribution of Financial Reports.
B. Develop and produce management reports to analyze the Revenue Cycle.
C. Reserve adequacy analysis, for example: health benefits, worker’s compensation, medical malpractice, and patient accounts receivable. Provide monthly reports on the status of the above reserves.
D. Roll forward of all endowment fund and restricted fund accounts.
4. Assist the upper management of Financial Reporting with the development of department operating budget. Identify cost saving strategies related to administrative or operating expenses. Assist in identifying and implementing initiatives to increase productivity and efficiency of the department while trying to maintain positive staff morale.
5. Communicate regularly with various finance personnel to ensure optimal efficiency and effectiveness of financial reporting.
6. Keep abreast of current regulatory (federal, state, Health Services Cost Review Commission and The Joint Commission) information/guidelines and new, related UMMS policies; communicate relevant changes and/or protocol and procedural revisions to staff. Assist with the implementation of appropriate department operational changes to ensure compliance.
7. Provide assistance to and communicate with various Medical System departments regarding monthly accounting reports and other accounting-related documents/information to explain accounting department policies and procedures. Such communications may include information and formal training sessions as well as memos or other forms of communication.
8. Assist management in providing acceptable records and supporting documents to all internal and external auditors. Maintain various records, files, supporting documentation for regulatory or other reporting purposes.
9. Develop and implement procedures in performing tasks required by the internal management staff or outside regulatory agencies.
As a University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS) employee, you will enjoy a comprehensive benefits program designed with you and your dependents in mind. Subject to any eligibility waiting period, all of the benefits are available to regular full-time employees and most benefits are available to regular part-time employees who are regularly scheduled to work twenty (20) or more hours per week. Many benefits are provided at no cost to employees. For others, the cost is shared between UMMS and employees.
Knowledge, Skills and AbilitiesProficiency in preparing and analyzing financial data and implementing changes to contain costs for budgetary purposes. Knowledge of general accounting principles is required. Knowledge of state and federal tax laws and regulations is required.