Under limited supervision; transports patients, specimens, and equipment to and from various locations in accordance with MedicalCenter and department policies and procedures. Ensures the safe, timely and efficient transport of patients, specimens, and equipment throughout the MedicalCenter. Contributes to the smooth operational flow of the department, and promotes a positive image of the Patient Transportation Department and the MedicalCenter. Fulfillment of the job duties requires the employee to have access to medication storage areas.
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Transports patients to and from various locations within the Medical Center in a safe and efficient manner as directed.
A. Assists nursing or ancillary personnel as necessary to prepare patients for transport
B. Ensuring the patient is transported in the appropriate equipment using methods outlined within department policies and procedures.
C. Ensures the safety of patients during and after transports by inspecting equipment before use, making sure side rails are in the up position and locked at all times, ensuring that the patient is properly positioned in the transport vehicle, brakes are locked when stationary, stretchers are placed in the lowest position, patients are dropped off in the designated drop off points, and someone is notified of the patients arrival before leaving the patient.
D. Uses proper body mechanics when transferring, moving, lifting and transporting patients.
E. Uses patient only elevators and designated hallways to expedite the transport process and ensure the dignity of the patient throughout the transport.
F. Uses a telephone based dispatching system, pagers, and two-way radios to perform duties.
2. Collects specimens from nursing units and procedure areas and delivers to the lab in accordance with department policies and procedures.
A. Uses specimen transport bins to protect specimens during transport.
B. Uses a telephone based dispatching system, pagers, and two-way radios to perform duties.
3. Transports deceased from various units in the Medical Center to the Morgue in accordance with department policies and procedures.
A. Collects and verifies the completion of documents.
B. Properly documents and places the body in the morgue.
4. Uses stretchers, wheelchairs, hospital beds, and other transportation equipment in the process of transporting patients or transferring patients from or to equipment.
A. Ensures the safe and efficient operation of equipment prior to use.
B. Cleans equipment between patients unless cleaning has been done by the unit staff prior to and after use.
C. Reports equipment in need of repair to the Transportation Equipment Coordinator.
D. Assists in returning unit PAR levels during periods of idle time.
5. Observes established departmental policies, procedures and practices related to work procedures, safety, environmental and infection control. Promotes positive guest relations with hospital personnel, patients, and guests.
6. May assist with the duties of the Transportation Equipment Coordinator and Team Leader during their absences.