1. Assist senior-level accounting personnel in preparing basic monthly financial statements on an accrual and/or cash basis using generally accepted accounting principles and other guidelines as deemed appropriate.
2. Reconcile subsidiary data to be interfaced into the General Ledger in accordance with departmental standards and generally accepted accounting principles.
3. Prepare monthly standard journal entries with supporting documentation.
4. Review designated functional area(s) and prepare and post any necessary month end journal entries.
5. Prepare effective account reconciliations with supporting documentation; research and follow up on differences from the expected balance.
6. Assist in the creation and preparation of various routine analytical projects and reports; back-end reporting, providing various types of financial data; and similar reports for analysis.
7. Provide assistance to and communicates with various Medical System departments regarding monthly accounting reports and other accounting-related documents/information and to explain accounting department policies and procedures.
8. Maintain various records, files, and supporting documentation for regulatory or other reporting purposes, including annual audit and tax return preparation.
9. Keep abreast of regulatory (federal, state, Health Services Cost Review Commission and The Joint Commission) changes/information/guidelines affecting hospital finance and accounting practices, as well as new and related UMMS Finance Shared Services policies.
1. Knowledge of the principles and practices of accounting is required. General knowledge of financial analysis is required.
2. Proficiency in performing basic mathematical calculations including percentage, addition, subtraction, and multiplication using a calculator, or related equipment is required. Demonstrate knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, Word, and Power Point used in the analysis of financial data is required. General knowledge of accounting-related information systems is required.
3. Demonstrate ability to compile statistical reports, and assist senior-level staff and management in monitoring and reporting financial performance is required.
4. Ability to use a PC and routine peripheral equipment including the ability to use Microsoft Outlook e-mail/Calendar functionality is required.
5. Demonstrate effective time management. Ability to work in a frequently stressful work environment and meet deadlines as assigned is required.
6. Effective written and verbal communication skills are required to assist internal customers in understanding accounting practices.