Under direct supervision, using a customer service orientation, provides for the safety and security of patients, visitors, and staff in a specified area of the UMMC campus. Carries defense technology OC pepper foam. This position does not have the authority to make arrests.
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Demonstrates and observes UMMS guest relations practices in providing directions and general information in accordance with established departmental and institutional policies and procedures. Resolves significant customer service challenges in a timely and professional manner; owning issues until resolved.
2. Enforces hospital safety and security policies and procedures during daily security rounds. Uses two-way radio to report emergencies as needed. Looks for fire and safety hazards/deficiencies; identifies and corrects hazards, reports violations on appropriate report forms, as required.
3. Provides directions and general information to hospital patients and visitors. May provide shuttle/escort service to visitors and staff to locations within the UMMC Campus.
4. Protects hospital property and personnel including vehicles parked on hospital grounds by observing patients, visitors, staff, and equipment, noting irregular or suspicious behaviors, apprehending criminal suspects, and issuing parking violations according to policy.
5. Enforces hospital safety plans during emergencies or emergency drills by notifying staff of correct procedures or aiding staff in the evacuation of hospital patients. Serves as contact for City Fire Department during emergencies in order to increase response time.
6. Responds to calls from dispatch and reports to emergency locations as directed to ensure safety of patients and staff during helicopter and ambulance arrival and departures. Receives calls from dispatch to restrain uncooperative or violent patients using proper techniques.
7. Conducts investigations of reported incidents by questioning staff involved in the incident in a polite and courteous manner while remaining sensitive to staff and patient needs. Reports findings back to the supervisor. Works cooperatively with UMAB and Baltimore City Police by serving as a contact for discussion of criminal incidents.
8. Documents security/safety violations and requests for service on security log in order to maintain record of incidents that occur during assigned shift.
9. Records the date and time of the placement and release of deceased patients from hospital morgue in the Morgue log book for hospital records. May transport deceased patients to the morgue as directed by dispatch upon request of individual unit.