The University of Maryland Medical System is a 12-hospital system with academic, community and specialty medical services reaching every part of Maryland and beyond. UMMS is a national and regional referral center for trauma, cancer care, Neurocare, cardiac care, women's and children's health and physical rehabilitation. UMMS is the fourth largest private employer in the Baltimore metropolitan area and one of the top 20 employers in the state of Maryland. No organization will give you the clinical variety, the support, or the opportunities for professional growth that you’ll enjoy as a member of our team. UMMS is currently seeking a Communications Specialist for our Prince George's Hospital Center located in Cheverly, MD .
****BACHELOR'S degree with a concentration in Communications, Journalism, English, Marketing, Business or a related field is REQUIRED; 2 years of related or internship experience****
*** THIS POSITION IS LOCATED IN CHEVERLY, MARYLAND ***
Under the supervision of the Director of Communications Services, and working with other Directors in the department, the Communications Specialist is responsible for writing, editing, and/or acquiring content for websites, intranet sites and other online communications programs. This position is also responsible for updating content on the web and intranet content management systems (CMS) and adhering to production deadlines for these updates.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Provides writing, editing and research support for web & intranet projects, and other communication projects as directed including publications, media relations, and internal communications.
2. Responsible for website maintenance, including uploading edited or new material directly to the site. Editorial content responsibilities include but are not limited to reviewing site content for errors, broken links and outdated content and making the necessary changes; ensuring content meets all functional and graphic standards; writing and including appropriate meta tags and meta descriptions on appropriate pages to help ensure that search engines/portals accurately index/list the designated pages; helping to maintain our internal site search engine to make it as easy as possible to find information.
3. Responsible for monitoring web site and social media comments as assigned, and for posting information to social media sites as directed.
4. Supports department leaders in other communications projects as needed including internal and external events.
5. Communicates project updates and plans with key stakeholders both internally and externally. Manages deadlines and multiple projects simultaneously, and completes work quickly and with high attention to detail.
6. Develops effective working relationships and maintains good communications internally and across the organization.
As a University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS) employee, you will enjoy a comprehensive benefits program designed with you and your dependents in mind. Subject to any eligibility waiting period, all of the benefits are available to regular full-time employees and most benefits are available to regular part-time employees who are regularly scheduled to work twenty (20) or more hours per week. Many benefits are provided at no cost to employees. For others, the cost is shared between UMMS and employees.
Bachelor’s degree with a concentration in Communications, Journalism, English, Marketing, Business or a related field is required.
Two (2) years of related or internship experience preferred.