The University of Maryland Medical System is a 12-hospital system with academic, community and specialty medical services reaching every part of Maryland and beyond. UMMS is a national and regional referral center for trauma, cancer care, Neurocare, cardiac care, women's and children's health and physical rehabilitation.
UMMS is the fourth largest private employer in the Baltimore metropolitan area and one of the top 20 employers in the state of Maryland. No organization will give you the clinical variety, the support, or the opportunities for professional growth that you’ll enjoy as a member of our team. UMMS is currently seeking a Receptionist for our Hunt Valley location.
***High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) and 6 months general work experience in a business, professional office or health care environment involving public contact is REQUIRED***
Under direct supervision, provide telephone coverage; receive and greet visitors, patients, and staff; schedule medical tests; and, perform routine clerical duties which include filing and miscellaneous record keeping within established policies and procedures.
1. Receives, greets, and directs patients, guests, and visitors within the assigned department or the hospital center (hospital, clinic, unit, etc.) Provides assistance, guidance, and direction to visitors, patients, and staff. Ascertains the nature of their business or need; assists and/or directs visitors and patients to various locations in the department or hospital as needed. Calls for an escort when necessary.
2. Provides general hospital/clinic/department information to patients, visitors, and staff on the telephone or in-person, in accordance with established departmental policies and procedures.
3. Answers in-coming telephone calls for the department; responds to or handles inquiries or takes messages, as appropriate; screens calls and refers to appropriate individual and/or transfers call to specified party. Uses computer system to retrieve patient data; locates attending physicians where appropriate.
4. Sorts incoming and outgoing mail for the department. Maintains logs of items received; contacts appropriate party to retrieve delivered item, delivers items as appropriate.
5. Maintains records on telephone call volumes and general department records as requested. Maintains directory and files on pertinent information according to established procedures.
6. Maintains established department policies, procedures, objectives, quality assurance, safety, environmental and infection control standards.
7. Operates and assists in the care and maintenance of department office equipment and supplies.
8. Schedule appointments, posts notices, sorts file or carries out related clerical duties as needed for particular department.
As an employee of the University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS), you will enjoy a comprehensive benefits program designed with you and your dependents in mind. Subject to any eligibility waiting period, all of the benefits are available to regular full-time employees and most benefits are available to regular part-time employees who are regularly scheduled to work twenty (20) or more hours per week. Many benefits are provided at no cost to employees. For others, the cost is shared between UMMS and employees.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Ability to learn and use computer systems for inquiry purposes, and various routine office equipment, e.g. photocopy machine, typewriter. Familiarity with medical terminology is preferred.
2. Demonstrated ability to effectively operate a multi-line telephone console, where appropriate, and to use professional telephone etiquette.
3. Ability to use resourcefulness in researching various documents, computer patient information screens or other resources to problem-solve in handling telephone and in person inquiries.
4. Ability to apply UMMS guest relations skills of listening and courtesy, in providing information to and handling inquiries from patients, visitors, staff, or other relevant parties.
5. Highly effective verbal communication skills including courtesy, resourcefulness, and efficiency in answering questions, giving directions, locating physicians, and explaining hospital policies, and procedures are necessary.
6. Effective writing skills are also required in order to maintain miscellaneous records, receipts, logs for use by others.