The University of Maryland Medical System is a 12-hospital system with academic, community and specialty medical services reaching every part of Maryland and beyond. UMMS is a national and regional referral center for trauma, cancer care, Neurocare, cardiac care, women's and children's health and physical rehabilitation. UMMS is the fourth largest private employer in the Baltimore metropolitan area and one of the top 20 employers in the state of Maryland. No organization will give you the clinical variety, the support, or the opportunities for professional growth that you’ll enjoy as a member of our team. UMMS is currently seeking anAccountant II for our Corporate location in Downtown Baltimore.
****Bachelors Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Management or related field & 3 years of experience performing professional accounting or auditing work is REQUIRED****
Under general direction, performs proficient level professional accounting responsibilities in the management of
UMMS accounting systems.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Assists management in coordinating the Medical System General Ledger Maintenance/Production Function by preparing monthly financial statements based on general ledger trial/balance, recording monthly standard entries, and recording periodic expense and/or revenue associated with daily operations in accordance with departmental procedures and generally accepted accounting principles.
A. Prepares monthly journal entries: records monthly revenue, expense and balance sheet activities.
B. Prepares monthly financial statements: summarizes financial activity for presentation to management (and the Board of Directors), including the Balance Sheet, Income Statement, Statement of Cash Flows and Statement of Changes in Fund Balance and supplemental schedules.
C. Prepares regular recurring journal entries with supporting documentation and/or schedules, as required, to update the general ledger at the close of a period.
D. Reconciles subsidiary system activity and balances and/or business documents to general ledger control accounts, in the prescribed format, to demonstrate the integrity of the general ledger and to identify any correcting entries needed to properly state ledger balances.
2. Assists in the creation and production of back-end reporting which provides various arrays of formats to present several different styles of financial data relationships, as directed by financial management staff and Medical System department heads, in monitoring departmental financial performance.
A. Compiles statements and schedules of a financial and/or statistical nature. (i.e. monthly variance reports, full time equivalents reports, miscellaneous receivable aging analysis and daily cash analysis).
B. Maintains the subsidiary systems by posting transactions to the systems, generating reports, and ordering all supporting documentation in a systematic manner.
C. Coordinates quarterly inventory audits and develops tables outlining differences for various departments to improve accuracy of expenditure recording and to monitor dollar volume of current inventory levels.
3. Provides assistance to and communicates with various Medical System departments regarding monthly accounting reports and other accounting-related documents/information to explain accounting department policies and procedures.
4. Assists management in providing acceptable records and support documents to all internal and external auditors. Maintains various records, files, supporting documentation for regulatory or other reporting purposes.
5. Assists management in developing procedures and subsequent implementation of those procedures in performing tasks required by the internal management staff or outside regulatory agencies.
6. Keeps abreast of regulatory (federal, state and TJC) changes/information/guidelines affecting hospital finance and accounting practices, as well as new and related UMMS Finance Shared Services policies.
7. Assists the Finance Shared Services management on special assignments as required.
As a University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS) employee, you will enjoy a comprehensive benefits program designed with you and your dependents in mind. Subject to any eligibility waiting period, all of the benefits are available to regular full-time employees and most benefits are available to regular part-time employees who are regularly scheduled to work twenty (20) or more hours per week. Many benefits are provided at no cost to employees. For others, the cost is shared between UMMS and employees.
Bachelor’s Degree with a major in Accounting, Finance, Business Management or a related field is required.
Three years of experience performing professional accounting or auditing work is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Intermediate knowledge of the principles and practices of accounting is required. Knowledge of financial analysis is required.
Proficiency in performing basic mathematical calculations including percentage, addition, subtraction, and multiplication using a calculator, or related equipment is required. Demonstrate knowledge of Microsoft Office
Suite, including Excel, Word, and Power Point used in the analysis of financial data is required. General knowledge of accounting-related information systems is required.
Ability to compile and analyze statistical reports, and assist management in monitoring and reporting fiscal performance is required.
Proficient skills in use of a PC and routine peripheral equipment, including the ability to use Microsoft Outlook e-mail/Calendar functionality is required.
Effective time management is required .Ability to work in a frequently stressful work environment and meet deadlines is required.
Effective written and verbal communication skills are required to assist departments in understanding accounting practices is required.
Demonstrate accountability for areas of direct responsibility.
Exhibit ability to appropriately handle difficult situations and conflicts.