Under general supervision, prepare, sterilize, store and issue medical/surgical instruments, supplies and equipment in accordance with departmental and hospital policies and procedures. Performs and/or assists in decontamination and distribution of medical/surgical supplies, instruments and equipment. Fulfillment of the job duties requires the employee to have access to medication storage areas.
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Inspects, assembles and prepares instrumentation for terminal sterilization in accordance with established sterile processing practices and standards.
A. Inspects instruments for cleanliness and proper functionality.
B. Assembles instrument trays and sets in accordance with specific requirements.
C. Wraps or packages and labels instrumentation for sterilization, properly, using established, generally accepted techniques.
2. Performs terminal sterilization activities in accordance with established procedures utilizing steam and plasma and related sterilization equipment.
A. Loads and unloads instruments and equipment from sterilizers properly, in accordance with established procedures.
B. Operates steam and plasma sterilizers and related equipment; recognizes equipment malfunctions and reports to Team Leader and Supervisor immediately. May perform routine maintenance and minor repair of equipment, as needed.
C. Monitors the sterilization process using mechanical, chemical and biological indicators.
D. Records data on items to be sterilized, identifying item, date, sterilizer and load. This may include computer data entry.
E. Complies with safety requirements regarding thermal and chemical exposure.
3. Cleans and restocks specialty equipment and carts as appropriate, in accordance with departmental procedures.
4. Dispenses and deliver instruments and equipment to nursing departments and clinics.
A. Maintains an accurate record of supplies, instruments dispensed to account for use and availability. This may include computer data entry.
B. Collects, verifies, batches and forwards patient charge tickets and supply requisitions to data processing or other requestor as appropriate.
C. Conducts supply inventory and follows procedures to restock as necessary.
5. Performs and/or assists with decontamination activities, which render supplies clean and safe for handling, in accordance with department standards and generally accepted decontamination practices.
A. Adheres to dress code required for decontamination activities.
B. Uses chemicals in proper dilution for effective cleaning and disinfection.
C. Operates mechanical equipment used in decontamination processes, by following detailed operating instructions.
D. Exercises safe handling practices in handling sharps to prevent personal injury or injury to others.
E. Performs routine cleaning activities to ensure a clean work environment and prevent internal cross-contamination.
6. Stores instrument trays in designated storage areas for distribution. Stores items based on first-in, first-out (FIFO) in order to provide for appropriate stock rotation. Cleans storage shelves as required to maintain a clean work environment.
7. Assists with retrieval of contaminated instrument sets from patient care areas for sterile processing. Practices proper techniques in the containment and handling of contaminated instruments, supplies and equipment to prevent cross-contamination, in accordance with department standards and accepted safe and sterile handling practices.
8. Communicates effectively with all customers to render service and to resolve problems. Refers difficult issues to the Central Sterile Processing Supervisor for resolution.
9. Observes appropriate handling and safety standards throughout the entire sterilization process in accordance with governing regulations and UMMS standards.
10. Attends all mandatory hospital and department in-service training and safety training annually. Attends a minimum of one external educational seminar per year.