Under direct supervision of the on-site physician, assists in the delivery of patient care. Performs delegated medical tasks, assists physician and nursing staff with patient care and may perform clerical duties. Where electronic system is in use, this position will utilize the EMAR for documentation purposes. Fulfillment of job duties requires the employee to have access to medication storage areas and to transport medications to/ from medication storage and delivery areas. Fully participates in the day to operations, and patient flow and acts as a resource for Medical Assistant I and Medical Assistant II. Models teamwork and customer service behaviors.
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. These are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
- Gathers and documents brief history and chief complaint in the medical record/EMAR. Act as a clinical resource for MAI.
- Follows established guidelines to obtain necessary testing based on the chief complaint prior to the exam. Prepares patient for examination by the health care provider.
- Performs routine clinic testing, including but not limited to; urinalysis, vision testing, hearing screening, pulmonary function testing, temperature, pulse and blood pressure.
- Assists provider with procedures and minor surgical procedures.
- Obtains necessary blood and urine specimens.
- Provides pre-printed patient education /material as directed by physician.
- Exhibits compassion and empathy for all patients and families at all times.
- Performs cleaning and disinfection of environment of care. Performs high level disinfection of equipment instruments per unit/hospital procedure.
- Maintains necessary supplies in clinical area.
- Functions effectively in all MA roles specific to clinic. Works independently and serves as a resource for others. May precept new MA and MA students within the clinic.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the patient populations(s) served. Collaborates with interdisciplinary team to address patient/family needs.