The University of Maryland Medical System is a 12-hospital system with academic, community and specialty medical services reaching every part of Maryland and beyond. UMMS is a national and regional referral center for trauma, cancer care, Neurocare, cardiac care, women's and children's health and physical rehabilitation. UMMS is the fourth largest private employer in the Baltimore metropolitan area and one of the top 20 employers in the state of Maryland. No organization will give you the clinical variety, the support, or the opportunities for professional growth that you’ll enjoy as a member of our team. UMMS is currently seeking an Entry Level Internal Auditor for our Corporate location in Baltimore, MD.
*** Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, IT, Computer Science, or a related field is required; Prior accounting or auditing experience is preferred. There is not any relocation assistance for this position***
Under the direction of the Internal Audit Management Team, this position audits assigned organizational, Information Technology (IT), and functional areas to evaluate the adequacy and effectiveness of internal controls, reports audit findings and makes recommendations for the correction of weaknesses, non-compliance with corporate policies and procedures and improvement of operations.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Partners with the Internal Audit Manager and Senior during the planning phase of the audit to ensure audit objectives and scope are appropriately defined.
2. Meets with appropriate UMMS staff during the planning phase of the audit to ensure audit objectives and scope are appropriately defined and communicated, in conjunction with the Internal Audit Management Team,.
3. Participates in developing preliminary audit programs, including overview, procedures and objectives and presents to internal audit management for review.
4. Performs prescribed audit procedures as defined in the audit program or as instructed by the Internal Audit Manager and/or Senior.
5. Creates work products such as audit analysis, correspondence to client, memoranda and other working papers that document the engagement procedures performed, the findings and the results of those procedures.
6. Identifies potential risks and makes recommendations for improvements in the process or area under review.
7. Uses the results of the audit procedures to establish an objective opinion as the adequacy of internal controls and efficiency of the activities being audited.
8. Develops draft internal audit reports and deliverables and ensures work is completed within agreed upon time frames.
9. Participates in concluding the audit process by meeting with departmental representatives of the department under audit to review the findings of the audit and to incorporate any feedback into the final draft of the report.
10. Develops a working understanding of the health care language and acronyms/industry terms. Learns organization’s business processes and services offered.
11. Participates in departmental initiatives and projects under the direction of the internal audit management team to maintain a high quality internal audit function.
As a University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS) employee, you will enjoy a comprehensive benefits program designed with you and your dependents in mind. Subject to any eligibility waiting period, all of the benefits are available to regular full-time employees and most benefits are available to regular part-time employees who are regularly scheduled to work twenty (20) or more hours per week. Many benefits are provided at no cost to employees. For others, the cost is shared between UMMS and employees.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, IT, Computer Science, or a related field is required.
Master’s degree in a related field is preferred.
Prior Accounting or Auditing experience is preferred.