UMMC has an opening for full time Clinical Nurse Specialist to support our nursing team in Shock Trauma. The CNS is a leadership role in our organization and facilitates the development, implementation, and ongoing management of a model for professional practice. UMMC utilizes the skills of our Clinical Nurse Specialists to foster the delivery of high quality, cost effective patient care as well promote the professional development of staff.
Come be a part of the University of Maryland’s Shock Trauma nursing team and help our staff grow by instituting change to how we care for the patients of Maryland.
• The R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center: When it opened, Shock Trauma was the pioneer example to the world of how trauma hospital operates; using innovative concepts like the Golden Hour as a foundation behind the delivery of care for trauma patients. Today, Shock Trauma builds on this foundation by providing care for critically ill and injured patients in our state-of-the-art Shock Trauma and Critical Care Tower which opened its doors in 2013.
• An Academic Medical Center: UMMC is integrated with the professional schools of University of Maryland Baltimore. This integration allows us to rely on the professional schools of UMB to help drive outcomes and incorporate evidence based practice techniques in the delivery of care to patients in Maryland.
• UMMC is the flagship hospital of University of Maryland Medical System: As a member of a 12 hospital statewide medical system, UMMC has the support of a medical system in delivering care to the patients of Maryland. Together, UMMS works in furtherance of providing Maryland residents access to the medical care they need.
•Complex Care: UMMC and Shock Trauma have more ICUs in the state of Maryland than any other hospital. Our nurses care for patients with the most complex issues who need care at the highest level of acuity. Our nurses depend on a well-trained interdisciplinary team to provide high level care to patients in extreme need.
• Utilizes experience in their field to serve as an expert within their specialty; provides support to staff as a role model in the delivery of care, interpretation of health care issues, and professional knowledge of nursing.
• Facilitates the development, implementation, and ongoing management of a model for professional practice. Fosters the delivery of high quality, cost effective patient care, as well as, the professional development of staff.
• Exemplifies advanced professional development through involvement and leadership in external professional activities and organizations, and through involvement in research/ development activities related to areas of expertise.
• Provides consultations and guidance in the field of expertise, including: developing and maintaining an open and continuous communication network with interdependent units, colleagues, and agencies to facilitate quality care and to promote the profession of nursing.
• Serves as counselor, mentor, and resource to management and clinical staff for the design and implementation of professional development programs.
Education and Experience:
• Master of Science (MS/MSN) as Clinical Nurse Specialist is required;
• Licensure as a Registered Nurse in the state of Maryland, or eligible to practice due to compact state requirements outlined by the Maryland Board of Nursing.
• Applicable experience as a bedside RN in Emergency, Trauma, or ICU settings strongly preferred.