University of Maryland Medical Center - Midtown Campus has had a long history of working to keep our community healthy. Located in Baltimore’s cultural center near the historic Mount Vernon neighborhood, UMMC Midtown Campus is a 200-bed non-profit, community teaching hospital, and part of the University of Maryland Medical System. UMMC Midtown Campus was named a 2014-2015 Best Regional Hospital in Baltimore by U.S. News & World Report.
UMMC Midtown is seeking a Clinical Nurse Manager for the OR:
1. Develops and implements clinical services to meet unit goals to achieve quality, cost and volume objectives. Implements unit budgets, productivity and utilization management goals to ensure optimum functioning of unit.
1.1. Collaborates effectively with medical staff in achieving program development needs, and in utilizing identifying requirements for clinical services. Demonstrates a system approach to planning and implementation at the organization’s level.
1.2 Directs the implantation of clinical services which are responsive to customer requirements, utilizing the input and participation of staff while maximizing productivity and effectiveness of work processes.
1.3. Justifies and monitors the annual operating budget for the unit.
1.4. Provides for adequate capital equipment resources for patient care through participation in the capital management process within clinical operations.
2. Directs patient care delivery systems which assure consistency, quality and cost effectiveness of patient care services across the continuum of care.
3. Creates management systems which assure the achievement of organizational goals, promote the performance, development and retention of staff, which are responsive to changing needs.
3.1. Supports participation of staff in institutional service quality improvement teams and projects.
3.2. Creates an environment which is customer focused, supports staff participation in process improvements, and empowers staff to make decisions to improve patient care.
3.3. Develops and implements a model of care to ensure appropriate delegation of nursing care and quality patient outcomes.
4. Monitors patient and stakeholder satisfaction to implement services to respond to organizational requirements and improve satisfaction.
5. Assures compliance with standards of professional practice for nursing and allied health professions. Assures the competence and effectiveness of professional and support staff to who provide patient care. Assures compliance with regulatory requirements within the clinical areas.
5.1. Collaborates in the development of organizational policy which governs the practice of nursing within the organization. Represents nursing and patient care services in organizational forums, including medical staff committees, administrative committees, task forces, and other hospital initiatives.
5.2. Establishes an effective governance structure within the unit for development and implementation of policy, and for the development and monitoring of standards of patient care and professional practice.
5.3. Assures that nursing policies, procedures and operating practices are in compliance with standards set by external regulatory and accrediting agencies.
6. Demonstrates fiscal accountability by achieving outcomes within allocated reasons.
6.1. Monitors and controls supply and expense budget. Analysis will reflect changes in volume and practice and associated supply/expense variances with recommendations regarding changes for products/par levels.
6.2. Interprets budget to staff and enlists their cooperation in cost containment as evidenced by monthly financial responsibility reports.
6.3. Takes corrective action of human resources as needed to effectively manage resources.
6.4. Initiates corrective actions to reduce expenditures and enhance revenues without compromising quality of services.
7. Develops an organizational environment which supports professional development and effective performance of staff.
7.1. Establishes practices for recruitment, selection and development of employees which assures that staff’s performance is consistent with institutional priorities and values.
7.2. Collaborates in the planning, design and implementation of programs needed for the orientation, competency assessment and professional development of staff.
7.3. Hires, orients, trains and provides leadership and guidance to unit staff. Develops standards of performance, evaluates performance and make recommendations for personnel actions. Encourages and support education, training and professional activities.
7.4. Demonstrates leadership in promoting and valuing work force diversity.
7.5. Designs and implements effective unit communications to assure that staff is informed of organizational changes in a timely manner.
8. Evaluates in a consistent and systematic manner, the effectiveness of the nursing process based on the patient’s progress toward meeting expected outcomes, and revises care when appropriate.
9. Attends and actively participates in committees as required.
10. Identify problem areas pertaining to unit staff and take appropriate actions or make recommendations to correct inappropriate activities.
11. Demonstrates support and compliance with Maryland General Hospital’s mission, vision, values, philosophy, goals, objectives and policies.
12. Assumes responsibility for continual self-development and learning.
13. Performs additional functions and other activities as assigned.