The Blood Management Specialist (BMS) acts as the liaison within the hospital environment to ensure that blood management and transfusion related activities are conducted in the safest possible manner, meet or exceed all existing safety and regulatory requirements, and are within established Hospital guidelines.
Assists in the development, implementation, coordination, reporting and education of the Patient Blood Management Program and processes to assure that all transfusion related activities are conducted in the safest possible manner and meet or exceed all existing safety and regulatory requirements. Collaborates with all levels of clinical and medical personnel to evaluate transfusion management strategies and offer recommendations for improvement. Assists in establishing policies, protocols and procedures to support Patient Blood Management and utilizations that meet regulatory standards and guidelines related to evidence-based transfusion medicine practices. Establishes and/or updates a process to track, audit and analyze key performance metrics and offers recommendations to address areas of concern to improve safety and treatment efficacy, and to reduce costs. The BMS serves as a resource to physicians, residents, fellows, nurses and laboratory staff related to blood management and administration, transfusion related safety issues, and this includes the preparation and presentation of education materials to accomplish this task.
1. Bachelor of Science Degree in a science or healthcare related field required.
2. Minimum three years of experience in leadership and performance/quality improvement roles in nursing and/or transfusion service required.
3. Minimum five years recent experience in Nursing or Clinical Lab Science required.
4. Experience in Emergency Medicine, Critical Care or Transfusion Service preferred.
5. Experience in performance improvement data reporting and analysis preferred.
6. State or National license as a Registered Nurse (RN/BSN) or Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS-ASCP) or Blood Bank Specialist (SBB-ASCP) required.