Under direct supervision, performs delegated patient care and applies advanced technical skills in all Endoscopy procedures. Fulfillment of the job duties requires the employee to have access to medication storage areas and to transport medications to/ from medication storage and delivery areas.
- Assists the Registered Nurse assigned to the patient with the assessment of the patient by monitoring parameters outlined by the Registered Nurse in accordance with the Nursing Standards of Practice.
- Assists physician directly in procedures involving guidewire manipulation, stent placements, balloon dilations, stone retrieval, electrocautery, laser therapy including photodynamic therapy, endoscopic ultrasound, variceal and hemorrhoid banding, insertion of esophageal catheters, probes, naso and percutaneous gastric and jejunal tubes, polypectomies, fine kneedle aspiration, clipping of bleeding vessels, celiac plexus neurolysis, tumor obliteration, specimen processing, sphinctertomies and biliary manometry.
- Assists physicians directly with obtaining various patient specimens such as biopsies for culture, Clo tests, pathology and viral studies, brush cytology, microbiology and pH specimens.
- Sets up, maintains and troubleshoots all endoscopic equipment. Notifies Charge Nurse and Biomed of any problems as indicated.
- Sets up and operates multiple lead EKG machines; attaches and removes EKG leads; runs a rhythm strip.
- Performs venipuncture for drawing blood samples per physician order. Obtains intravenous access per physician order.
- Performs general support services for the unit and patient which may include running unit errands, procuring equipment and taking and relaying messages accurately and correctly.