|Main Function:Performs clerical, data entry and specimen processing, within the laboratory. Functions as a receptionist for the laboratory. Trains new personnel and performs other nontechnical functions as assigned. Duties and |
1. Receives and processes specimens for testing in various laboratory departments. Operates centrifuge, separates specimens according to department storage.
2. Enters patient demographic data into the computer system. Orders tests as indicated on the requisition. Responds to telephone inquiries for test results, specimen status, or other general inquiries.
3. Run, receive and prepare reports as assigned for the morning blood draw collections.
4. Document all problems and seek direction from Supervisor or Laboratory Director on how to resolve the problem. When required, initiate occurrence reporting form.
5. Complete annual safety training, competency testing, and mandatory continuing education.
6. Assist with training of new personnel to include Re-training for Transfusion Service Specimen Collection.
7. Demonstrate courtesy and respect for all individuals, patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers.
8. Encourage teamwork and interdepartmental cooperation. Respond to customer inquiries. Provides high level of customer service through positive interaction and helpful demeanor.
9. Maintain work area in a clean efficient state. Disinfect work station and counter tops at the end of the shift. Leave work station prepared for the following shift. Follow safety and infection control policies for the department and the hospital.
10. Accepts responsibility for other duties or projects as needed or assigned.