The PICC Line Program Coordinator is responsible for the scheduling, placement, verification, and billing of PICC Lines and Central Lines ordered at UMMC Midtown Campus. The Program Coordinator will promote teamwork with the physicians, Nurses and other personnel from all units/areas/departments to assure continuity of care for the PICC Line and Central Line patients. The Program Coordinator is an RN and as such is responsible for assuring the nursing process is followed for patients while they are under his/her care. As an RN, he/she must also stay current with standards of practice, such as the Nurse Practice Act, through ongoing education relevant to nursing. The RNs actions and attitude will promote and support the hospital’s mission and core values.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. After notification of an order for a PICC Line or Central Lines, performs an initial evaluation to determine that the patient is a candidate for the procedure. Does so in a timely fashion
2. Reviews all PICC Line and Central Line orders and schedules patients for placement, taking into consideration any other procedures/tests scheduled for the patient.
3. Meets with the patient to explain the procedure and obtain a consent.
4. Determines the best location for the procedure depending on the patient’s individual needs.
5. Maintains equipment to assure the necessary equipment is clean, functioning, and available for the procedure. Inventories supplies to assure these are available for the procedure.
6. Performs PICC and Central Line insertion procedure according to guidelines and infection control standards.
7. After procedure, obtains an order for a chest x-ray to verify placement and then assures this is completed and a wet reading is placed on the front of the chart.
8. Completes all necessary documentation on the procedure and the patient’s tolerance and condition during and following the procedure.
9. Communicates with IV Therapists to inform them of those patients receiving PICC Lines and Central Lines so that the IV Therapists will complete follow-up care and maintenance.
10. Completes the billing process to assure the patient is charged accurately and the information is entered in a timely fashion.
11. Maintains certification and annual requirements necessary to remain qualified to perform PICC Line and Central Line Insertions.
12. Maintains competency in the IR/Cath Lab so that he/she can cover for the nurses in that area when necessary.
13. Promotes teamwork with the physicians, the nurses, and other personnel from all unit/areas/departments to assure continuity of care for the patients.
14. Complies with hospital policies and practices in all aspects of care and professional behavior.
15. Follows TJC and CMS standards as part of routine practice.
16. Attends and actively participates in unit staff meetings.
17. Supports Shared Governance.
18. Demonstrates support and compliance with UMMC Midtown Campus’ mission, vision, values, philosophy, goals and objectives and policies.
19. Performs additional functions to assist the Clinical Manager and other activities as assigned. Will cross train in IR.
Currently licensed in the State of Maryland.
Graduate from an approved NursingSchool. Certification in PICC line insertion. Certification in Central line insertion.
At least 5 years experience as an RN, with preferably two or these in Interventional Radiology or IV Therapy. Training for IJ Central Line Insertions preferred.
Positive interpersonal/communication/supervisory skills needed. Requires good organizational skills. Computer skills preferred.