|Under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse (RN), and in accordance with the nursing care plan, the PCT performs delegated competency validated patient care functions and applies technical skills of a limited uncomplicated nature. |
1. Provides direct patient care which includes bathing, making beds, feeding, oral hygiene, giving shampoos, turning and positioning patients, and the like.
2. Initiates CPR procedures.
3. Identifies, records, and reports overt findings to the Registered Nurse concerning the physical and mental condition of a patient.
4. Assists nurses in assembling equipment and in performing various treatments and tests.
5. Administers and changes routine dressings to stage one and two wounds, surgical incisions, and peripheral IV sites after assessment by a Registered Nurse.
6. Gathers equipment required to, and initiates placement IV for the patient as directed by the registered nurse.
7. Performs venipuncture for drawing blood samples and established IV access.
8. Performs urinary bladder catheterization for temporary or permanent placement and implements catheter care in stable patients as delegated by the registered nurse.
9. Cleans, sterilizes, and appropriately cares for equipment and instruments in accordance with operational procedure.
10. Administers enteral tube feedings via nasogastric or gastrostomy tubes, as supervised by registered nurse.
11. Sets up and operates multiple lead EKG machines; attaches and removes EKG leads; runs a rhythm strip.
12. Performs chest physical therapy, tracheal suctioning, tracheostomy care and incentive spirometry treatments as delegated and supervised by the responsible registered nurse.
13. Performs minor housekeeping tasks to keep patient areas in a clean and sanitary condition; recognizes, reports, or corrects environmental conditions, which may jeopardize patient safety and well being.
14. Performs related and delegated tasks when necessary such as admission and/or discharge assistance, setting up special equipment, taking and relaying messages, procuring equipment, and running errands.