The University of Maryland Medical System is a 12-hospital system with academic, community and specialty medical services reaching every part of Maryland and beyond. UMMS is a national and regional referral center for trauma, cancer care, Neurocare, cardiac care, women's and children's health and physical rehabilitation. UMMS is the fourth largest private employer in the Baltimore metropolitan area and one of the top 20 employers in the state of Maryland. No organization will give you the clinical variety, the support, or the opportunities for professional growth that you’ll enjoy as a member of our team. UMMS is currently seeking a Clinical Consultant for our Corporate Performance Consulting department.
***Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing or a related field and 3 years of critical care or trauma nursing experience OR 5 years of nursing medical/surgery nursing or other clinical nursing, consulting, value analysis or equivalent experience is REQUIRED***
Under limited supervision, provides clinical leadership and direction across UMMS member hospitals focused on supply chain management and contract implementation. Interacts with hospital leadership, department directors, physicians and vendors relating to clinical acceptability, costs, utilization and implementation of a focused grouping of medical supplies, devices or services. Provides leadership with supply chain management and implementation services promoting clinical acceptance and cost improvement strategies to designated hospitals. Assists with the development and implementation strategies for effective alignment of all stakeholders for Supply Chain initiatives.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. These are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Develop clinical and business relationships that set new standards for collaboration and consolidation of focus to quality and cost management of medical supplies and devices.
2. Work collaboratively with hospital leadership, physicians, supervisors, department leadership and staff, vendors, suppliers, the Group Purchasing Organization (GPO), and UMMS leadership groups so that clinical acceptance is maximized and optimal reductions are achieved in member institution’s cost structure.
3. Collaborate and optimize relationship with hospital staff across UMMS to influence and optimize resources in supporting mission with goal of setting best of practice standards and optimizing quality and cost management goals.
4. Chair or sponsor committees that support optimization of standards and cost management opportunities with specific focus on medical supplies and devices.
5. Utilizing communication skills, present to appropriate groups information related to opportunities, reporting, implementation, and post decision results to maximize results of cost management activities.
6. Actively work with vendors to develop strategic partnerships by researching and analyzing vendor product offerings, service capabilities and performance history. Work with vendors to detail product trials.
7. Develop process and collaborative relationships with medical staff that optimizes clinical needs assessment and maximizes cost management opportunities.
8. Maintain new technology review and communication process to enhance quality and provide structure for cost management overview of same.
9. Utilize MMIS and related technologies to provide analysis of areas which include but are not limited to vendor performance, cost savings tracking, and costs standard units in area of specialization, contract compliance, and contract enhancement profiling.
10. Actively work with core groups to utilize up and coming technology and enhance performance standards.
11. Assists with identifying items for analysis in material management reporting systems such as product redundancies and opportunities for consolidation.
12. Build commitment to efficient processes within core group and customers.
13. Provide timely and efficient communication to all departments regarding direction of product consolidation decisions, contract changes, new contracts and compliance opportunities.
14. Work with and establish critical communication and follow-up processes with medical staff.
15. Promote economic discipline by facilitating and if necessary leading assigned department staff in the identification, analysis and implementation of cost reduction opportunities for high cost / high preference medical devices. These efforts focus on standardization of products, reduced utilization of products and on implementing innovative technologies focused on streamlining work flow.
16. Maximize cost avoidance opportunities through effective vendor negotiations in concert with the high cost / high preference contract management team, and comprehensive use of external and internal information databases and ongoing identification of new strategies reported in various trade journals and publications.
17. Work collaboratively with the GPO and Corporate Contracting to maximize contract compliance and product consolidation.
18. Lead teams in collecting data on product issues and developing resolutions; developing product specifications for new items; researching current products and specs; making product recommendations based on clinical and financial indications.
19. Supervise the exception process by becoming the point of contact for end users, communicating directly with departments related to product issues and resolutions, assisting with differentiating between clinical indications for product decisions versus clinical preferences, communicates exceptions to keep PMM current.
20. Supervise the discontinued item process by researching products for appropriate substitutions and making recommendations for hospital and affiliate validation.
21. Collaborate with all UMMS hospitals regarding:
A. Non-contracted request and like items currently within the PMM system.
B. Review non-catalog purchases for potential consolidation opportunities by identifying and validating non-catalog orders that are contract violations while providing direction regarding building items into PMM.
C. Identify opportunities for standardization by providing financials and cross references; facilitating vendor/manufacturer and hospital communications, product samples acquisition and guiding in-services.
As a University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS) employee, you will enjoy a comprehensive benefits program designed with you and your dependents in mind. Subject to any eligibility waiting period, all of the benefits are available to regular full-time employees and most benefits are available to regular part-time employees who are regularly scheduled to work twenty (20) or more hours per week. Many benefits are provided at no cost to employees. For others, the cost is shared between UMMS and employees.
Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing or a related field is required. Master’s degree in Nursing, MBA, or related business area is preferred.
Licensure as a Registered Nurse in the State of Maryland, or eligible to practice due to Compact state agreements outlined through the Maryland Board of Nursing, is preferred.
3 years of critical care or trauma nursing experience required; OR 5 years of nursing medical/surgery nursing or other clinical nursing, consulting, value analysis or equivalent experience is required.
Work experience in multiple surgical environments or institutions preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Ability to manage multiple, complex projects simultaneously.
2. Strong professional public relation skills at all levels and ability to effectively present complex solutions to all levels of clinical and non-clinical personnel.
3. Ability to work in a team environment and with diverse groups of both clinical and non-clinical personnel.
4. Strong computer literacy/savvy especially in Word, Excel and PowerPoint programs.
5. Negotiation skills and experience with products, services and materials management techniques related to perioperative service environment.
6. Ability to analyze complex operational and financial scenarios to render solutions that meet the customers’ desired outcomes.
7. Ability to travel up to 40% of the time required.