1. In collaboration with UMMS marketing, communications and community health and site executive, oversees the development of the organization’s image “positioning” that reflects its mission, strategic direction and health care environment. Serves as the primary resource for internal and external communications. Provides oversight for marketing/advertising and communications functions.
2. Develops strategy that furthers the local organization’s goals and aligns with UMMS vision/mission; and working collaboratively with directors throughout the system to ensure alignment of goals.
3. Directs production of publications and oversees the coordination of the layout, design, writing, editing and production of brochures, marketing/communication pieces, website, social media, community newsletters, ad copy and collateral marketing materials for internal and external audiences.
4. Develops and implements marketing and community development plans to meet organizational needs, create the desired image and generate additional business revenue.
5. Directs internal communication activities including development and implementation of communications plans and activities focused on employee and internal stakeholder education, knowledge of important information and development of internal pride.
6. Directs media relations and attendant programs, including the initiation or coverage or response to requests from newspaper, magazine and electronic media representatives.
7. Serves as the spokesperson and Public Information Officer (PIO) for media information, the release of patient information to the media and in disasters, weather events or emergencies, with the goal of preserving and advancing the organization’s reputation and mission.
8. Prepares and manages program budgets. Monitors revenue and expenditures and prepares variance reports. Accurately identifies and plans for capital and operating budgets; anticipates changes that necessitate adjusting forecasts and allocation of funds.
9. Oversees physician marketing activities, designed to increase recognition of medical staff.
10. Develops relationships with key stakeholders internally and externally throughout the service area to position UMMS and local site in its community as a healthcare resource and leader.
11. Oversees the organization’s website, including content development, editing, technical modifications, and relationships with outside contractors.
12. Prepares reports and analyze data to illustrate the market position of the service line, affiliate hospitals and outpatient practice locations. Researches, understands and applies consumer demographics /prevalence of disease information to achieve marketing goals. Create metrics and share data with VP and managers.
13. Reports marketing performance to clinical leadership and management team on a regular basis.
14. Plans and participates in special events for both internal and external audiences as needed.
15. Acts as the liaison between local organization administration and UMMS marketing, communications and community health shared service activities, budgets, decisions and strategy.
16. Oversees and/or participates in the development & implementation of community benefit reporting activities and outreach programs.
17. Keeps abreast of local and industry trends, issues, competition, opportunities and risks. Provides timely feedback to appropriate staff and clients and recommends changes in strategy, as needed.
18. Performs related duties as required.
Master’s degree in marketing, business administration or a health related field required OR equivalent knowledge obtained through experience.
Ten years of progressively responsible experience in marketing, preferably in a health care related field.
Three to five years of progressively responsible experience in managing and directing staff.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Demonstrated effectiveness in leading and executing marketing and communication plans in a highly complex environment.
2. Knowledge of strategic marketing, communications and community health activities, development and implementation; knowledge of budget development, control and evaluation is required.
3. Experience in the health care industry.
4. Proficient skills in directing, monitoring, evaluating, and motivating the performance of staff.
5. High level of proficiency and demonstrated effectiveness in problem solving and implementing new programs related to increased departmental and organizational efficiency.
6. Highly effective oral and written communication skills are required to work with outside vendors/contractors, various supervisory, senior management and administrative staff and with external customers.
7. Highly effective organizational and interpersonal skills.