Under general supervision, prepares, sterilizes, stores and issues medical/surgical instruments, supplies and equipment in accordance with departmental and hospital policies and procedures. Performs and/or assists with decontamination and distribution of flexible endoscopes and related items. Maintains clinical scope equipment under the responsibility of or in agreement with Perioperative Services.
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Inspects, assembles and prepares flexible and rigid scopes for terminal sterilization or high level disinfection in accordance with established sterile processing practices and standards.
A. Inspects scope instrumentation for cleanliness and proper functionality.
B. Assembles scope related instrument trays in accordance with specific requirements.
C. Wraps or packages and labels scope instrumentation for sterilization, properly, using established, generally accepted techniques.
2. Performs high level disinfection in accordance with established procedures utilizing AER’s (Automatic Endoscopic Reprocessors) and related sterilization equipment.
A. Loads and unloads flexible scopes from AER’s, Perform routine maintenance and minor repair of scope related equipment, as needed.
B. Monitors the scope process using mechanical and chemical indicators.
C. Records data on items to be high level disinfected identifying item, date, and load. This may include computer data entry.
D. Complies with safety requirements regarding thermal and chemical exposure.
3. Assists with coordination of procurement, maintenance, repair, and distribution of all scopes and appropriate equipment and supplies associated with the scope procedures
A. Works in cooperation with Biomedical Engineering, when appropriate for the repair and maintenance of clinical equipment
B. Coordinates with the scope coordinator for the management, exchange, and distribution of equipment requiring maintenance or repair
C. Rotates equipment for routine maintenance.
4. Cleans and restocks specialty equipment and carts as appropriate, in accordance with departmental procedures.
5. Dispense and deliver instruments and equipment to nursing departments and clinics. Maintains an accurate record of supplies, instruments and equipment dispensed to account for use and availability. This may include computer data entry.
A. Provides appropriate scope and cart to requested location. Assists physician with proper handling of scope. Provides supplies for procedure as appropriate.
B. Conducts supply inventory and follows procedures to restock as necessary.
6. Performs and/or assists with decontamination activities, which render scopes clean and safe for handling, in accordance with department standards and generally accepted decontamination practices.
A. Adheres to dress code required for decontamination activities. Uses chemicals in proper dilution for effective cleaning and disinfection.
B. Operates mechanical equipment used in decontamination processes, by following detailed operating instructions.
C. Exercises safe handling practices in handling sharps to prevent personal injury or injury to others.
D. Performs routine cleaning activities to ensure a clean work environment and prevent internal cross-contamination.
7. Prepares and/or assists with preparation of patient care equipment for use and verifies proper function prior to redistribution.
8. Stores scopes and equipment in designated storage areas for distribution. Cleans storage shelves to maintain a clean work environment.
9. Assists with retrieval of contaminated scopes from patient care areas for sterile processing. Practices proper techniques in the containment and handling of contaminated scopes and equipment to prevent cross-contamination, in accordance with department standards and accepted safe and sterile handling practices.
10. Attends all mandatory hospital and department in-service training and safety training annually.