Leads and/or provides oversight and reinforcement for all UMMS facility’s Clinical Documentation Improvement (CDI) programs to ensure they remain compliant with the system CDI Standardization and Policies and Procedures.
Collaborates with Corporate CDI Oversight members (including Finance and Quality Executives) to provide updates on hospital program performance and identify areas of risk. Acts as the liaison between corporate and local CDI Leadership, facilitating communication from CDI Oversight Committee and ensuring accountability necessary to optimize and sustain the standardized approach and processes. Supports the structure, organization and culture for continuous CDI, quality, and operations improvement. Monitors and measures results; develops standards and applies benchmarking and best practice applications to support improvement at the team and organizational levels. Develops and manages comprehensive programs to meet the organizational development needs, including education, training, development, and advising of leaders at all levels. Develops and maintains relationships with a variety of types of positions and individuals at both the Corporate and local hospital level.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
1. Change Leadership: Supports the structure, organization and culture for continuous quality and operations improvement. Initiates and facilitates redesign and Clinical Documentation Improvement strategies for strategically important priorities within the organization. Creates detailed, comprehensive project and action plans and timelines to ensure successful execution of programs. Monitors and measures results; develops standards and applies benchmarking and best practice applications to support improvement at the team and organizational levels. Acts as a consultant and advisor to leadership to build consensus and support for CDI initiatives at an organizational level. Researches and remains current on CDI opportunities, and methodologies appropriate for a healthcare environment. Provides training and education to support CDI initiatives in the organization. Consults with organizational learning and development and designs educational curriculums and programs to support leadership, medical staff and employee education and training to participate in CDI initiatives. Mentors and supports local CDI Managers and staff and other organizational leaders and change efforts to support their development and improvement efforts. Assists leaders and teams to facilitate major change and organization improvement.
2. Metrics and Reporting Leadership:
Provides regular analysis of all local CDI programs reporting CDI metrics to:
– Identify trends
– Develop strategic corrective action plans
– Identify ongoing improvement initiatives that match the corporate vision for CDI
– Target areas for additional focus and education
– Recommend program scope modifications to ensure optimal coverage
Serve as the single point of contact and decision maker for all technology developments and enhancements
– Midas and Statit development and maintenance
– New reporting needs
– Ensure change management and education on all processes
3. CDI Leadership: Leads and/or facilitates CDI teams to achieve comprehensive review and capture of complete, accurate, and compliant Provider documentation to achieve appropriate SOI, ROM, quality improvement and business results. Works with executive champions and leaders to facilitate CDI teams to achieve timely results consistent with strategic and operational goals.
Provides education and mentoring for:
– Current CDI Managers at the local level
– New CDSs hired into the system
– Existing CDSs with identified challenges
Also ensures all local CDI Managers and staff have appropriate training on CDI tools and techniques to support executive champions, leaders and CDI teams. Acts as a coach and advisor to the executive champions, and leaders on processes and approaches to accomplish goals and achieve results. Collects and analyzes data to evaluate operational difficulties and makes recommendations to solve problems. Identifies inefficiencies, analyzes and reports solutions to correct inefficiencies. Coordinates staff and resources in reporting and non-reporting relationships.
Education and Experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities