Main Function: Behavioral Health Associate (BHA) performs direct patient care under the supervision of professional staff. The BHA recognizes and assists with patient problems and needs, documents in the medical chart, facilitates therapeutic groups, and assists with implementing treatment planning. Functions as a member of the multidisciplinary treatment team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Demonstrates sound knowledge base concerning adult and geriatric psychology.
2. Engages in therapeutic activities such as 1:1 interactions with patient and facilitating therapeutic groups.
3. Participates in treatment planning meetings by conveying patient observations to licensed staff.
4. Assists with milieu management and maintaining a safe environment.
5. Facilitates the community meeting and other therapeutic groups and documents as required.
6. Assists with admissions, transfers and discharges, including assistance with data collection.
7. Monitors patients’ observation levels, changes in patient status, suicide precautions and close observations per policy and reports information to appropriate person.
8. Demonstrates skills in obtaining vital signs, including height and weight.
9. Provides patients assistance with activities of daily living.
10. Identifies and responds promptly to patient needs, respecting dignity and privacy.
11. Assists in providing orientation and instruction to patients.
12. Completes appropriate documentation in accordance with hospital standards.
13. Assists in patient’s transfers and transports.
14. Maintains a safe, clean, recuperative environment.
15. Communicates effectively with other health care providers to ensure continuity and coordination of care, appropriate care delivery, and to report changes in patient’s condition.
16. Supports departmental operations by assisting with clerical duties, supply and environment maintenance.
17. Participates in the orientation, training, and evaluation of new staff.
18. Maintains competency and yearly educational requirements for position.
19. Adheres to all procedures related to infection control principles.
20. Attends and actively participates in meetings as required.
21. Demonstrates support and compliance with Maryland General Hospital’s mission, vision, values, philosophy, goals, objectives and policies.
22. Performs additional functions and other activities assigned
What You Need to Be Successful:
Licensure: Currently certified as a CNA by the Maryland Board of Nursing.